[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

T5 Upgrade

Bookmark and Share
    The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default T5 Upgrade

So I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my 55gal for the current PCs. I was thinking MH but after a few conversations and some additional research I am starting to lean towards HO T5s. I am considering a six bulb fixture. My lighting knowledge is insufficient at best. Considering the size of the tank I have been told that the 6 bulb fixture would provide me the ability to have just about any coral I desire, at less cost, with less heat, and less energy required. I would loss the shimmer MH provide, but have read that adding some LED's could help add some shimmer.

Is this the way to or should I just jump in and get MH? Any input or opinions would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

First I am biased. I know it and still cant come to like any t5. Operating cost is less than MH. Yes Much less heat transfer. Yes the bulbs last for 12-15 months. Replacement is 6 times 20 to 25 dollars. So 120 to 150 to replace the bulbs. Yes you lose the MH shimmer, but it is more than that. Last I checked color of bulbs are limited. Where MH you can have from 6500 to 20k. I know ther are some 6500 t5 and 10k. but with MH you can easly find 6500, 10k 12k 14k 15k 20k all at or near the same price. I persoinally love my SPS and silly me only got 2x150 I cant wait for christmas I will be going to 2x400 prob in 12 to 14k range. again I am biased. Ever notice most the coral sellers use mh? And usually 250,400,800 or 1000 watt models. I will be happy to help save as many reefs as possible but I am not willing to save 1 kilowatt if it make my corals any dimmer :o
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

I will not attempt to sway your decision in favor of one method over another; I will simply share my experiences. I am running PCs one one tank, T5s on another, and MHs on yet another.

Simply for viewing pleasure, MHs are my favorite. I did not understand the "shimmer" argument until I saw it in my home. Yet, the heat baked my tank, and I lost about a third of my corals & was forced to purchase a chiller or lose all of my corals.

The T5s have allowed coral growth, but not as rapidly & they lack the shimmer. They, too, have heated the water above tolerable levels, and I am struggling with high temps. Most days I flip the canopy open so the tank only gets half of the light & to allow for better ventilation. I will eventually have to purchase a chiller for this tank or move everything to another and dismantle it.

I have not used LEDs, but I am extremely curious. My LFS had some over a display, but the tank was empty other than some fake corals & confetti (no water). I would love to see the effect over a "real" tank. The main attraction for me is less heat. If they can live up to the potential, LEDs might just be the route I take for my next tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    First I am biased. I know it and still cant come to like any t5. Operating cost is less than MH. Yes Much less heat transfer. Yes the bulbs last for 12-15 months. Replacement is 6 times 20 to 25 dollars. So 120 to 150 to replace the bulbs. Yes you lose the MH shimmer, but it is more than that. Last I checked color of bulbs are limited. Where MH you can have from 6500 to 20k. I know ther are some 6500 t5 and 10k. but with MH you can easly find 6500, 10k 12k 14k 15k 20k all at or near the same price. I persoinally love my SPS and silly me only got 2x150 I cant wait for christmas I will be going to 2x400 prob in 12 to 14k range. again I am biased. Ever notice most the coral sellers use mh? And usually 250,400,800 or 1000 watt models. I will be happy to help save as many reefs as possible but I am not willing to save 1 kilowatt if it make my corals any dimmer :o
    Grue
    In regards to what you said about less choice in color of bulbs in T5, I find with a 6 T5 bulb configuration I have way more choices in how the lighting in my tank looks.

The jury is still out. I have yet to make a decision. I would prefer MH but it does seem worth the investment for My 55 when I plan on adding a 125+ in the next year. It seems like the T5s would be a good fit for now and use MH on the bigger tank when the time arrives. I have been keeping an eye out for some used MH, but they seem to be few and far between.

yea i would go with the t-5 on the 55g..that is wat i had and works good for the size

So at long last I found and purchased some MH. A 2x150 14K fixture by SunPod. I set it up and have been running for a couple of days now. What a difference. It looks so much better. How long should I let my tank acclimate to the light before adding new items?