[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

T5 VS AI Vega

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default T5 VS AI Vega

Hey just wanted to get some other opinions. I am just through the first year of my 90 Gallon Reef Build. I started with an Aquaticlife 4 X T5 Light. I just recently switched to 2 X AI Vega. I really enjoy the new lights as far as programming, cool features, and ripple effect but I am still not sold on the color. Here are 2 shots within a month of eachother. What do you think? FYI I am getting new improved growth and corals that were just kinda hanging in there are now full, bright, and growing since I switched. That alone has made it worth it!!

[IMG]photo2 zpse2572be1 - T5 VS AI Vega[/IMG]

[IMG]photo3 zps2cb6dbce - T5 VS AI Vega[/IMG]
    Likes MizTanks, tcp316 liked this post

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by pinhigh1886 View Post
    Hey just wanted to get some other opinions. I am just through the first year of my 90 Gallon Reef Build. I started with an Aquaticlife 4 X T5 Light. I just recently switched to 2 X AI Vega. I really enjoy the new lights as far as programming, cool features, and ripple effect but I am still not sold on the color. Here are 2 shots within a month of eachother. What do you think? FYI I am getting new improved growth and corals that were just kinda hanging in there are now full, bright, and growing since I switched. That alone has made it worth it!!

[IMG]photo2 zpse2572be1 - T5 VS AI Vega[/IMG]

[IMG]photo3 zps2cb6dbce - T5 VS AI Vega[/IMG]
    I personally prefer the brighter color instead of the intense blue. It looks crisp and clean. I love it.

Always learning, loving this hobby.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree dial in the color to what you like. I personally love LEDs because they are adjustable.

First Name
    John

Thanks for the opinions. Right now I am still in acclimation mode so not full intensity but getting close. It will setle at the following:

Whites 35%
    Blue 85%
    Royal Blue 85%
    Red 10%
    Green 10%

This is obviously if the coral seems to be OK. I will make adjustments as I go through the end of the acclimation period. Just not sure if I should go any lower on white to get a little "bluer" look?

Correct me if I am wrong on this concern I have as well? If Corals have zooxanthellae which among other things helps protect the coral from UV rays, what happens long term to corals under LED that do not give off UV rays?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Most of the corals will do fine under 100% blue if that helps your adjustment any. I have run my tank on only blues for several weeks without any noticeable change. The spectrum of light is mostly blue once you get a few meters depth in the Ocean.

spectral light absorption - T5 VS AI Vega

Using a PAR meter, my blue LEDs measure more intensity than whites.

For some reason, blue lighting seems to get a bad rep with reef hobbyists. Some consider it "less natural" when in fact that is not the case and blue LEDs probably reproduce their natural spectrum better than white/yellow lighting (unless your tank is 10 meters deep). There is a reason that corals fluoresce at 420-460nm...and I don't think it is just because it makes a neat parlor trick for us to impress our friends.
    Likes dknuckles, binford4000 liked this post

First Name
    John

Thanks Jim! This will help!

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

You know a lot about par and growth. Don't mind my opinion. It is based solely on my aesthetic preference and what is easier on my eyes as I have difficulty with them.

I have T5s and not LEDS. Your tank is gorgeous. I am sure Jim can give you an experienced educated opinion.
    Have a nice day.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Always learning, loving this hobby.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

It has been my experience that coral actually do better under a strong attentic spectrum. This is also a very long standing argument or debate Depending on how see itLol. I agree with Jim's statement of the spectrum rating. Sps would be the one exception but not excluded from my above statement . I have always believed the sps displays much better coloring with the blue glow as long as the par levels are in the sweet spot. It is very easy to achieve strong par readings with a 10k spectrum or a 14k. I also run AI SOL blues. Six in total. I have yet to turn my whites past 40% .In fact when I do I experience mild bleaching. The Vega system from what I have read is a very adjustable system that allows virtually an endless variety of color mixtures. I was told by a LFS that they also have pre programmed spectrums. Is that true ? I also noticed that you have your lites very close to the water line. The SOL's we're designed for a typical height of 12" off the water line. This also gives the reflectors room for a very nice spread. I am assuming with the new wider reflectors they are useing in the vega this would do a even better job and enhance the color choices. Very nice tank by the way and those Vegas are SWEET ! I am leaning very hard to havering mine upgraded.

First Name
    John

Thanks for the comment Old Man! I have been doing FOWLR for over 10 years and this is my first rodeo with Coral. Why you ask? Good question! I am an addict now. The tank has been up for a year now and is really running nicely. It will be a mixed reef with SPS acros in the upper portion with softies mixed and below. I have quite a few corals now but have spent most of the cheese getting equipment that will help me be successful. I do travel some so I also wanted the tank to be fully automated so I can leave a week at a time with less worry. As far as the lights go I am happier everyday. They do not have preprogrammed settings and come with no directions. I did a lot of research and had an idea of what to expect before I installed them. The coral acclimation mode is really nice as long as you start at a point that doesn't upset the corals and you monitor everyday as the intensity goes up. I got the Color Vegas but now wish I just got the blues. The Red and Green LED's are only on one puck on each light and they cast a red and green spot (2) places in the tank. I have them toned down to 5% and that helped but now I lose those LED's really. According to AI the ideal location is 4" off of the water line and I have mine at 6" ish. I left all of the extra cable and adjustments are very easy. I moved them up and down until I accieved the best coverage and minimized shadow areas. I really thing for a 90 Gallon Standard it would be better with (3) lights and I will be buying another. At that point I may be able to raise the lights alittle. The AI hanging system and EXT Rails make it supper easy to raise and lower the lights as long as you leave some length on the cables. I raise them up from time to time and only tanks seconds to do. I also think in the very near future you will be able to buy customized pucks for the Vegas which will give you endless options for look and more importantly coral growth as long as you understand what is working.

Now its time for the swap and getting going on my coral collection

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Great info ! Thanks for the education. The do look nice and the brighter pic looks very nice. Have fun at the swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last