[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tech M. Bryopsis massacre I hope.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Tech M. Bryopsis massacre I hope.

O.k., here I go with the Tech M Bryopsis solution. Here are my parameters now:

Calcium 450
    Alk 5.8
    Magnesium 1300

I'm going to do a water change first (trying to get the alk up to at least 7) and then begin dosing 160 ml per day of the Tech M while monitoring all three buffering parameters. This should bring my Mag up 18.3 ppm per day. I'm going to bring it up to at least 1600 and am going to keep a good eye on my sps and other inhabitants.

I'm also on the Brightwell Bacter7/Vodka program. I'm very happy with those results. Here's hoping this shortcut to killing Bryopsis isn't a bad idea.

I didn't take pics because I just did a harvesting and there's not much left except strands.

I'll keep you posted.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hope it works for you. Keep us posted on progress.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I've heard nothing but goodness about this treatment. It worked for me and several others that I know. However like myself a few have said now there's another algae growing where the Bryopsis was. Not sure of the type. None of my softies suffered at all from the Tech M treatment. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I did it a couple weeks ago. After 6 days of dosing Tech M, my bryopsis was 90% gone. After day 9 it was 100% gone. Now doing some water changes as I noticed some montis are looking a little peaked.

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I did it a couple weeks ago. After 6 days of dosing Tech M, my bryopsis was 90% gone. After day 9 it was 100% gone. Now doing some water changes as I noticed some montis are looking a little peaked.
    Good to know it's worked for so many. Kent has to be pretty happy about this alternate result of their mag dosing and only their mag.

Jim, were you dosing the amount to raise it 18.3ppm or a higher dosage? Also, I'm wondering if I did this for 6 days, waited a week and then continued until my mag was 1600 if it would be easier on my corals. I have lots of montis and they're my favorites.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I wasn't too scientific about it. In my ~60 gallon system, I dosed 45 ml twice per day. A couple times early on I did it threee times per day. At day 6 when I noticed the bryopsis not growing so well, I used a turkey baster and it blew right of the rocks. I dosed a couple more times and then stopped.

I will test the water this weekend and let you know what I ended up at. Although I changed 10% this morning when I noticed things looking a little down.

I think the suggested target is something like 1800 ppm.

BTW- Tom why isn't your sig working? Did you try to upload it to CR?

First Name
    Tom

Sounds good, Jim. I'll look for your info.

My sig works on my end when I click on it, but it takes a second for some reason.

By the way, I'm liking this site.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Hey Tom, Im gonna cruz along side with this thread and see how it goes. I actually started the Tech M dosing this evening myself. I had been using the BRS for the mag, but didn't have any luck with keeping the byropsis at bay.
    I actually had a knarly battle with it about a month ago and thought I had won. Now I notice in the past week its sprouting out on some artificial plugs and things. We'll see........
    Good luck to you!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Tom- I didn't realize the url went to a large pic. I guess I thought you were trying to have a picture, not just a link. You can actually do both with this bbcode:

[url=insertyourlinkhere][imglink]urltotheimage[/imglink][/url]

Glad your enjoying the site. I'm glad to have you here. If you have any suggestions, feel free to drop me a line.

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Hey Tom, Im gonna cruz along side with this thread and see how it goes. I actually started the Tech M dosing this evening myself. I had been using the BRS for the mag, but didn't have any luck with keeping the byropsis at bay.
    I actually had a knarly battle with it about a month ago and thought I had won. Now I notice in the past week its sprouting out on some artificial plugs and things. We'll see........
    Good luck to you!
    Hey Rob,
    BRS didn't help me either. Kept the water clean, but didn't do much for the algae. How are you dosing? Enough to bring it up 18ppm per day or something else?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last