[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tunze Osmolator

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Tunze Osmolator

So I took the plunge and ordered one last week! It arrived yesterday and am really happy with the quality construction and craftsman ship.

I did a search in the CR Showcase to see whom els is using the Osmolator for their ATO duties. Hopefully those with more experience can chim in and let me know what Im doing wrong.

The pump got stuck on twice yesterday, as the water kept filling past the "eye" and almost was triggered by the float switch and alarm. But I manually unplugged it both times as I heard the pump running.
    Any ideas how to correct this issue guys?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Rob for some reason there is a film on them when they are brand new. I had the same problem...although it's hard to remember now because my vortech has been ni service for 6 years with virtually no problems.

You want to use hot soapy water to rinse off the sensor. Be sure to set it back up when you will be around to monitor it's performance for the first day or so.

First Name
    Rob

Thanks for the tip Jim, once I get home from work tonight and can keep an eye on it I will rinse it in HOT Dawn water!! And see how that works.

Does yours also have a 15 second delay from when the water touches the eye and then the pump turns off?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member

Rob, I believe they all do have that delay.

I used one in the past, but switched to an ELOS Osmolater, which is very similar in operation, except the "back-up" shut off is different.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

It may have the delay...I don't even pay attention to it anymore...once a week I fill my top off jug and don't give it a second thought.

I do have the osmolator programmed in my neptune controller to shut off when the return pump is off. I usually turn off the return pump when I do a water change and that keeps the top off water from coming on during a water change. Also have it programmed to shut off with high pH because it goes through a kalk reactor...which prevents kalk overfeeds. A lesson learned the hard way on that.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

yes there is a delay, I thought it was 10 sec but could be 15. It will also run for that amount of time when you interrupt power and plug it back in.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

When it turns on it always runs for a few seconds for me too.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I have two of these and love them both. When i purchased it (Preuss) Steve told me it ("eye") needs to be kinda "dirty" to work effectivly. He told me to set it up in the tank for a couple of days before using it I did that with both units never have had a problem.

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
    Rob, I believe they all do have that delay.

I used one in the past, but switched to an ELOS Osmolater, which is very similar in operation, except the "back-up" shut off is different.
    This sucks.........I soaked and washed my probe in hot soap and water for a few minutes. Rinsed it well and dried it. Put it back into the tank and it filled just for a few seconds and turned off perfectly as it should with "level" light on.
    Twenty minutes later, the float high alarm is ringing???

It's frustrating that this isn't working as planned.

I set mine up identical to the way pictured on the box with the new circular magnets. The only other thing I can think to try is putting the eye and the float on two seperate magnets instead of the one, with a wider range between the two before I launch this damn thing into the drive way.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

How close are the two sensors? When mine turns on (either one) as soon as the water covers the tip of the infra red sensor it shuts off . On my 75g they are both on 1 holder about 1" apart. On my "basement mess" They are next to each other about 2" apart, but on both the "off sensor" sitts about 1" higher then the on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last