[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Via Aqua Skimmer

Bookmark and Share

Default Via Aqua Skimmer

I am looking at buying a Via Aqua Skimmer with a built-in UV Sterilizer. Does anyone use this? I have seen one working at my LFS and it seemed to be working well.

I was hoping that someone here used or had used one in the past. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewI...dproduct=VA2313

Is this a decent skimmer? I know everyone loves the ASM's, Remora's and Euro Reef's but I haven't seen any for sale around here and I hate ordering stuff. I also thought it would be great to have the UV.

Thanks!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The UV is going to stir up some debates, we employed one on our system for a solid six months (the tube finallly gave up) but I can't say either way if it was beneficial to the tank or not as there were no obvious signs. The only reason we employed it was from fear of a newly added sailfin tang that was showing signs of shipping stress (we didn't have a large enough quarentine tank to house her in).

Sorry no experience here with that brand of skimmer, however your link was hosed... Here is a working link to the product page;

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=VA2313
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I guess the UV is supposed to kill algea in the water. I don't think I am going to get this skimmer though. I found a few posts around the net talking about it being loud and putting lots of micro bubbles in the water.
    Public Affairs Officer
    Saltwater Addicts of Maine
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Saltwater Tanks:
    120 Gallon mixed reef
    20 Gallon frag tank