Check out my latest find in our tank! Does anyone have any idea what this could possible be? The red shiny jewel like sphere is attached to the rock similar to the way a wasp nest hangs, or cocoon. There's a tinier partial one that is either just developing or has been broken, right next to it in the picture. As you can see, there is a gray mat covering the rock, and there are little rubbery finger like protrusions. The gray rubbery mat extends around to the back of this rock as well. It reminds me of the skin of a manta ray. *I got to pet one once when I was little at an Aquarium* When we were photographing it, we didn't want to disturb it to much since the red jewel sphere looks as delicate as crystal, and we wanted to keep it underwater. The red color on the sphere has a swirled appearance - beautiful!! There's a little yellow sponge attacked just above it, but other than that the only thing on the rock is a patch of pink star polyps. This rock has been in our tank since we set up our reef, and it was nothing special.
I hope someone knows something about this mystery!