[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Question What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

Hi I'm new here... but to make a long story short, I've got tons of experience with freshwater tanks & have a wonderful planted tank with happy discus and small community fish... but I've always wanted a saltwater tank. Over the weekend, we went to an estate sale and got a 20 gallon high complete set up for a steal of a deal! Even though I'm new to saltwater, I could tell that this little tank needed a pretty good overhaul. It appears as though the inverts aren't doing too well, there are fish that (from what I'm reading) don't appear to be able to coexist happily together, and some of the corals and such look so bad I'm having a hard time even identifying them.

I wanted to see if anyone could help me ID these guys so I can make an intelligent decision on what should stay or go... ultimately I'm wanting to create a nano-reef tank (with time of course).

Thanks so much for any help!

Pic of full tank
    Name:  Photo Apr 29, 3 43 42 PM.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  97.4 KB

This is of something that I originally thought was dead, but I think it is dying... any chance of saving it???
    Name:  Photo May 01, 9 59 47 AM.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  50.7 KB

I can't even come close to figuring out what this is supposed to be... but I'm fairly certain it shouldn't look anything like this. This poor guy looks like he's melting.
    Name:  Photo May 01, 9 59 42 AM.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  49.0 KB

I have no clue what this guy and the guy in the middle right of the first photo are... but they are the only two from what I can tell that don't look like they are completely dying.
    Name:  Photo May 01, 9 59 37 AM.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  47.4 KB

Another sad looking something that I can't really ID because it looks so bad
    Name:  Photo May 01, 9 59 59 AM.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  61.0 KB

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

These are palythoas...they are hardy and with improved conditions will be fine. These green ones are commonly called Button Polyps.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 9 59 47 am jpg 9427 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

It looks like a finger leather coral. With improved conditions it should make a recovery. If the tissue in the center is still dying, you might consider cutting the "fingers" off from around it and put them in some rubble or small pieces of rock to reattach.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 9 59 42 am jpg 9428 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

The green one is a green nepthia. The brown one on the top right looks to be a cabbage leather.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 9 59 37 am jpg 9429 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

I can't really tell on this one. Perhaps if you can get a clearer photo that is closer.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 9 59 59 am jpg 9430 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

In general, I would say everything that is still alive is pretty hardy (obviously). And if you can improve their water quality and provide ample flow and lighting they should recover.

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Here's a few more pics of the last one (hopefully they look a little better).
    Name:  Photo May 01, 2 28 49 PM.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  Photo May 01, 2 28 44 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  81.5 KB

And while I'm at it, this is another guy who's been hiding behind a rock... I was thinking some kind of cucumber??? This is the best pic I can get of him without trying to move him. He's been hiding behind this rock for a few days, but considering all of the stress I don't want to try to move him or anything.
    Name:  Photo May 01, 10 00 39 AM (1).jpg
Views: 334
Size:  42.0 KB

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Still not 100% sure...looks like a stony coral. Perhaps a pavona or lithophylon.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 2 28 49 pm jpg 9434 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

The coral on the left is a duncan.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 2 28 44 pm jpg 9432 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

That's a sea apple. They typically do poorly in captivity. It'd be interesting to know how long it has made it in that tank. I'd keep an eye on it, if it starts to disintegrate you'll want to get it out right away to avoid causing more problems with water quality.
    what am i multi specimen version photo may 01 10 00 39 am 1 jpg 9433 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I think Jim is spot on with his assessment. That last pic he had questions on might just be mushrooms. If that IS a sea apple, you'd do well just giving it to a LFS. Were he to go south in a tank that small he could easily poison everything in the tank. The pic isn't real clear - before he said sea apple, I was thinking nudibranch. You might google images of both to get a better idea. And note, there are tons of varieties of nudibranchs...

buk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

looks like you scored yourself a nice starter project. the brown coral that is encrusting spiratically is a pavona. the ones to the left of it are duncans and i'll have to agree with jim. definitely looks like a sea apple. good luck turning everything around. it's definitely doable.

FlynnFish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    shanny
    Awards MBI Apprentice - Award nomination from bigbill accepted. Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Personally, I never seen a sea apple die. I was out doing some maintenance with my boss at the time and we had to clean out a tank that didn't survive a power outage. A lunar wrasse, domino damsel, ocellaris clownfish, and a yellow tang all died. The only thing that lived through it all was a sea apple. Just personal experience. But I would still recommend feeding zooplankton and phytoplankton to make sure it stays healthy.
    Is the finger leather upside by any chance? Kinda looks like it is.
    I need to attend a Fish Breeders Anonymous class.
    mbi sigaspx?uflynnfish&ampimg2 - What am I??? Multi specimen version :)

CR Member

It looks like this tank wasn't taken care of that well, but you can fix it all up. What I suggest is that you first get rid of that damsel (black and white fish) because I got one with my setup and it is very aggressive and killed some of my fish. Next I would take the live rock out and scrub off all that algae with a wire brush or something like that because that algae is the worst and a little bit can spread to a ton. But the biggest factor is checking your water parameters with a small $15 test kit and fixing your levels from there.

First thing you need to do is a water change, if you keep the nutrients and other parameters in check the corals will recover and then algae will go away on it's own. You can manually remove the algae if you want by pulling it off. You can dip the palys in a solution of peroxide and rodi water to kill that algae that is smothering them.
    Using Tapatalk

Forgot to say 25% peroxide to 75% rodi water
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last