[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Coral spawning

Bookmark and Share

Default Coral spawning

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im new here, I think one of my corals spawn and made lot eggs last night.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would like know what I can do if much to try to get some baby corals from this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im not sure wich coral they are from but there realy only two in this tank, a green brain and verybiggreen mushroom.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What has happen sofar, was this AM I looking in the tank before turn on the light and pumps and saw a very pink ball, foating along the bottom of the tank betwen the two corals, it was maybe 1/2" around. After seeing this I didn't turn on the light or the pump. An hour later the pink ball had come apart leving some on the bottom but lot more mix all up in the watter, they just look like small pink dots ever where. I take some out,and got to look at them under microscope, not really know what I was looking for, They seem fairly unformed, clearly could see Green things inside, but both corals are mostly green so not sure if that helps, but my untrain eye think this clearly light eatting thing, wich lean to it beaing from a coral and not some other unknow thing. I take sample to a pet store I deal with some, they said they thought they coral eggs but was not much more help other than that. I put the sample in defent reef tank, and went head turn on the light, wich under the light the eggs look more perple color. It been some time now and I noted some the eggs formed what looks like chains that seem to go from top of the watter to bottom but they get thiner as go to the bottom. Also some ones at top of the watter seem to have turned wite.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have not clue what go or bad here, or how likly im to get some thing out of this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I thought about sucking most egg out of the tank in too a 10gal tank and putting light on it see if that does some thing, just not got round too it yet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just bit about the tank if some wants to know, it about 65gals, with 20 gal sump, a proten skimmer in the sump. Been running for abour 5 years, both corals had for around 7 years. The tank over run with glass innemes for about 2 years, it to point I given up and working closing this tank, and moving evey thing to a new tank. The lighting on this tank is one 175watt mecry veper light, lighting only one side of the tank, with the corls, I had used mostly 10,000K melt hale lights, but for moth or two it been running with this light. I take the temp and slalt level, temp was 70* F slat is 1.20.The biggst change I can thing of would be temp, room been running about 75*f but gone up to around 80 for 2 or 3 days, not sure tank temps, then drop to around 70 or hair lower for 2 days, looks like tank is about that temp now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well this all been cool, be cooler if some eggs do some thing,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love to hear if some head luck getting coral egg to hatch, and or thoughts what I can do to help make that happen here.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mike#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

wow your temp is about 8 degrees too low in my opinion and I would bring your salinity up a bit also. I know that mushrooms dont lay eggs they just spread out from the matt. it could be the brain I would just leave them in the tank and see what they do. But I would bring your temp up. if you have swings like that you can kill all of the life in the tank.
    fulltankshot 1 - Coral spawning

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know what the temp swing was in the tank, I know there one in the room, do to fail a/c and then cold front. The tank temp changes more slowly but there would some change, norle tank temp is 74-76. I found not big chnages from 70-80 been bit over and under then before, with out losts, but try make sure stay in the rage, normle is ez becuse house temp there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the salt I had been running about 1.025 but found if long adding watter it could be as high as 1.027 wich I think maybe hard on everthing. I been trying to run more like 1.023 it seems like corals like this. The 1.020 under my goal but even one seem ok so didn't change it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the mushroom not making eggs, you maybe right, I never hard of them doing that, but I not sure they dont too. As for the brain Im fairly sure they do, but not found much info about it for brains, seem more info on some other type stony corals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for update, I didn't get around to setting up tank for the eggs last night, and all ones on bottom of the tank seem to be gone this AM, I figger some thing eat them last night. I dig up 10 gal tank and suck up alotof the eggs so 10gal is1/2 full, I added small heater set to 75 and set near window so it get some light tail I find alight for it maybe latter today, may try dig up air stone and pump too. As for the main tank, I run the pump just to refill the tank from the sump, the fitter system would remove all eggs from the tank in few hours, so for now I leving it off for now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mike#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#