[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

coral feeding?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default coral feeding?

I'm thinking this coral (short bubble) is feeding (I gave it a squirt of cyclopieze with a baster) but just curious. Since I have never actually seen a coral feed before (ie: someone point to "that coral is feeding"), I wanted to make sure the coral wasn't getting P*ed and closing up.
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Looks like he's havin dinner to me. But hey I'm no expert just my 2 cents. Hopefully someone with more exp. will chime in.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would say you have a pretty happy bubble there. I used to feed my big bubble coral brine shrimp, cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, daphnia.....they generally are pigs! Once they realize that you a willing feeder, I have noticed in my corals that when feeding time comes around, they sense my arrival and suddenly mouths start to open. It's actually an awesome phoenomina, but they have proven this to me time and time again. You can literally find the mouth on your bubble and feed it direct if you like, but be careful not to tear any of the delicate tissue on the coral. I use a baster. Once I learn where the mouth is, I simply put a bit of the tip between the bubbles and squirt some of the food into its mouth. Do not overfeed as they've been known to "puke" to much ingested food back into the tank. You don't want the foods to cause a swing in your parameters as the wasted food spoils. Have fun, but use care and caution. ...Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thats definately a coral ingesting food.Here's a pic of my Caribbean Rose BrainOpen Brain(Manicina areolata) feeeding.

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

It's Lunch Time!! Sometimes they can even look like they are eating themselves. You'll find them with their tentacles in their mouth sometimes in excitement to eat!

Renee

here's a shot of my bubble at night feeding....
    nightbubbles5a - coral feeding?

And one of my meat coral also taken during a night time feeding...
    meatcoralatnight - coral feeding?

So yuppers I think you have a coral with a full belly!! lol

Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

YEAH.. nice shots!

The bubble will extend feeders and sweepers at night. Check out this picture of a buddy's (Gumhead - you may remember him from Reef Freaks) bubble coral:

bubble - coral feeding?

You can help them to open more during the day by feeding during the day. They will become adjusted to the regimen and be more open from time to time.

Just ensure that if you are 'baster feeding' ANY coral that you are not shooting foods, mixed with fresh water. You really should use the same tank water to mix with the foods once defrosted. If you defrost with tank water, that water is going to be VERY cold as it hits the coral. Not a nice thing to do to them..they get cranky.

Dave
    ><((((

i dunno if Renee has posted this one, but since "sweepers" were mentioned...

DANG! Now THAT'S a sweeper!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last