[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

mandarin too fat?

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default mandarin too fat?

Can a mandarin get too fat? Mine is so fat, it kinda wobbles as it swims. (it doesn't swim much...mostly "hops" around the bottom of the tank) I know it sounds funny, but he's never been this fat before. I added a female, thinking that would help....nope, she's getting fat too. Plus I still have tons of pods in the tank. If it was a regular fish that I fed, I would just feed less. I can't do that with this pair because I don't feed them at all, lol. The pair of mandarins are in my 65G sea horse tank. (no sea horses in it now) The only other fish in there are 1 fire fish and 1 yellow watchman gobie. For cleaners there are 2 peppermint shrimp, 50 snails, 5 crabs, 1 XL turbo snail. I feed the tank nori for the snails and cleaners and DT's phyto for the corals and pods. Mysis for the sun coral and ricordias.

I'd call Jenny Craig.....but they don't have "low cal" pods on their menue.

Angie

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

be happy they arn't starving is all i can say, you seem to be having the opposite problem then most, you must be doing somthing right
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I agree with mutts we hear a lot about these guy starving so maby the are makeing up for all there buddies.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Maybe time to get her a lil' treadmill... Fat and happy likely won;t hurt the fish any... since you've been frontload the tank with pods she's likely just eating because it's available...
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

how do you get that many pods in your tank?

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I can't imagine them being fat and happy is really that bad. Once you add more seahorses back into the tank I am sure things will even out a bit.
    My pod population really started taking one when I started dosing phytoplankton. Its really amazing what happens when you start feeding the tank what it needs.

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mtodd001
    how do you get that many pods in your tank?
    Time....and the population will increase, a refuge will help dramtically. Or they can be purchased to add to your system.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Besides the mandarins, there isn't much else to eat them. I do have a refugium in my sump on this tank and I do dose DT's. Plus there is TONS of macro in both the sump and the display tank. Ideal breading grounds for pods. I do not have amphipods in there....only copepods. The sea horses that passed away ate all of the amphipods. They were their favorite treat to hunt for in the tank. They just never seemed to eat the copepods...too small maybe. Right now I have a surplus of copepods. In a month or so, with now having 2 mandarins I may not. That's the funny thing with pods in a tank. They seem to go in spurts. I will have 1000's for a few months then they seem to die off for a month or so, then I notice the population explosion again. Hope that helps.

Angie

First Name
    Dave

Where are you finding DT's? No place in Madison can get it at all, and haven't been able to for some time now...