[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New 75G....H. Erectus seahorse tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks for the link, It was a great read! I guess my next step will be researching C02 injection. Thank goodness I've already added the mud.

I added my raw shrimp to the tank today. Let the cycle begin

I added 20# Of LR to the tank today, and I have 50# comming at the end of the week.

The 75G is almost cycled now. Ammonia 0 Ph 8.3 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10 There is still a small pile of "goo" from the decomposing piece of shrimp. Yuck. I don't dare pull it out (stinky!!!)

I have copepods and amphipods in the tank!! I hope to have the macros planted in there by next week. I will only be adding 1 or 2 kinds of macro to the tank at a time. I want to give them time to adjust so they don't go sexual. It seems everytime I add larger amounts all at once, it all dies off. The first two will be the red dragons tongue and the prolifera. Next will be the red and yellow graceleria (spelled that wrong I'm sure). Then I will add the green and red feather. Last will be the blues / purples. If there is any room left after that I will add some of the razor caulerpa and red kelp.
    In about 6 months or so I will add the seagrasses. I will have to wait and see how it goes till then.

Here are some updated pics of the 75G. There are a few strands of macros that were attached to the rocks when I put them in there.

Dugh!! forgot the pics.

Looks great Angie! It really sounds like you're about ready to go... I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Here is what I did with it I did change who goes where though. My "future seahorses" (kuda) will go in the 65g and my current ones are in the 75. I can't wait for the macros to grow in nice and lush. I ordered a 48" 4-54w HO T5 light fixture for this tank. (1-65k 1-10k 2-actinics) I also purchased an extra 10k lamp just incase it's too yellow for my tastes. It will be here this week Then my macros should grow like weeds!

Enjoy!!

just incase anyone is wondering what the green airline and elbow are for: The airline is for the overflow box and the elbow is attached to it just for weight to keep it in the water. I had it come out once and I had a flood. The other elbow on the sandbed is what I rubberband small pieces of seaweed to for the snails and crabs. I feed them because there isn't much algae or food for them in the tank yet. I'd rather feed them then have them snacking on my macros.

I have a 20-30g seaclear sump on this tank with a G2 or g3 asm skimmer (I forget which it is) The return pump is a mag 7. I also have 2 lg. HOB power filters and a surface skimmer. I will be removing the HOB filters and the surface skimmer soon. I put them on there before I had the sump completed and the plumbing finished.

I hate hang on overflows. I wanted so badly to drill this tank. It's a perfecto tank so I "think" both the bottom and back are tempered. I will have to look into that. I'd empty it just to drill it if I could. It's almost worth risking breaking it just to get rid of that darn hang on overflow. Pain in the butt it is.

Angie

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Your tank looks great. With that new light your macros should make a forest in there pretty quick.

Back in '94 when I had my first SW tank (complete disaster) the LFS use to sell these "sea fan" decorations. I had one and I believe is was a wood. It was about the size of dinner plate, pretty flat, with a ton of little branches. I seems like would be a perfect hitch post for your ponies. Who knows if it was reef safe. Just an idea. I might still have in the junk bin.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last