[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

new fish in QT

Bookmark and Share
Page 5 of 5 First ... 3 4 5
    lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

not really, most Tangs are. they have a thin slime coat and the scale structure (or lack of) has a lot to do with it. you will DEFINATELY have to this with the pacific blue (hippo) tang (dory).

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I am wondering if it might just be better to skip the fresh water dip and not stress out the fish. I don't believe ich is effected by fresh water dip. If it was you would not need to QT fish when you brought them home. I am not sure, but you could look that up. I guess you kind to need to decide if it better for the fish to stay in the cramped QT tank under treatment or be released in to the display tank.

I faced the same thing on my Purple tang. She had a very slight case of ich but I felt the stress of the small QT wass causing more harm then good so I decided to put her in the display and make sure and feed her well and include garlic. I think I made the right choice.

First Name
    Bobby

i think i did too Shad, the fish is in the tank now and seems to be doing fine as of now. i will find out tomarrow if all is well or not. i have my fingers crossed. i do feel the tiny QT was more stressful than good at that point.

Great looking fish Bobby, they are the best looking fish in the hobby

The ich that affects freshwater fish and the ich that affects salt water fish are not one in the same. Saltwater ich will die off in fresh water and fresh water ich will die off in saltwater. I have seen a LFS employee take african cichlids covered in ich and dump them in the salt tank for a few min and the ich just falls off and dies.

However, even though dipping your new powderblue will kill off or remove most of any remaining ich you are still taking a great risk of stressing out a fish that costs 100.00. Your fish is already going to have stress from being in a new tank with strange fish.
    Since you have taken the time to keep the fish in QT and treated it with ich meds I think you should skip the F W Dip. If you are still unsure keep it in QT another week. Keep him eating and you may want to dip his food in selcon which will keep him strong and healthy.

We need a Fish Slime Coat in a can that we can just paint onto the tangs for a thicker slime coat.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Bobby

agreed Eric, when can we start developing this so i can quit my 8-5 daily job ??

Page 5 of 5 First ... 3 4 5