[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Phytoplankton

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Phytoplankton

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just got my first fresh home made phytoplankton iv had the store bought before and it smalled to hi heaven i quite using it don't like it at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The home made i got has almost no smell at all I'm refrigerating it and shaking it a little ever day as per their instructions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Going to use it for a while to see the results if i like ill start my culture going.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm starting with 1/2 cup ever other day is this to much or not enough????? Water volume 70 gallon#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#those of you using it pleas give your opinion and results with it good and bad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've never used it before so i'm not sure of its effectiveness in a reef.I know clams and some other filter feeders eat it.Most corals as you probably know dont eat plant based plankton but your pod population might benefit from it which corals/fish might then benefit from eating them.
    I've always heard to feed just enough "greenwater" to slightly tint the tank green.I'd be tempted to start off a little more conservative and see how your tanks nutrient levels respond.Since it'll get removed by the skimmer,i'd shut it off for an hr or 2 while feeding.
    I'd like to hear what kind of results you get so dont forget to report back

I know what you mean. I used to buy phyto and never really liked the smell. So then I started culturing my own and that way I know how fresh it is. After a while of making my own I started making to much so if you need any more just gimme a hollar.

Quote Originally Posted by condiman
    I know what you mean. I used to buy phyto and never really liked the smell. So then I started culturing my own and that way I know how fresh it is. After a while of making my own I started making to much so if you need any more just gimme a hollar.
    #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have been using it for awhile whit is your results and opinion with it#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

Well the one thing that cought my eye the most is the rapid growth of large multicolored tunicates and an increase in feather dusters. I have also noticed that the coloration of my sps have gotten better and the growth rate increased slightly. For instanse my Blue Monti was more like a pale blue about a year ago and now it seems darker in color. I know it has nothing to do with my lighting cause I havent changed anything for about a year or so.

There is one downside that I have noticed is the increase growth of algae on the glass. I seem to have to clean it more often.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We tried to grow our own to but unless you really are interested in taking care of it, it may or may not be something you want to do. The initial stuff we got was smelly too. I've just gone to using DT's instead. It may be more expensive, but it's clean and neat, you know all your animals are getting just what they need, and I saw a huge change in the way many things started growing in our tank. I bought it initially for my clams, but my zoas have gone bonkers on it, many of my leathers, xenia which we've never been able to grow in our tank is thriving....just everything has improved just from feeding my 2 clams. I don't feed the whole tank what the directions call for, just what goes to the tank after I lift the pop bottles off my clams. I think it would be to much! I also don't do it daily as it suggests because I can't afford it, and I think it would also be overkill if I did.#ed_op#FONT color=#80ff00#ed_cl# #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#000000#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Like Condiman said:#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl#
    #ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff409f#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FON T color=#ff00ff#ed_cl#There is one downside that I have noticed is the increase growth of algae on the glass#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#
    #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# I only feed the DT's once a week, and everything is healthy, but when I first tried the product, I dosed the entire tank as recommended, and it was too much IMO. If I were to do that daily, I don't think I would have been able to see my fish or coral through the green! With the use of DT's, we saw growth on the clams which surprised us.We didn't expect to see them grow like that. The 1 1/2 maxima clam had a growth spurt up to 3".#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# So that's just my 2 cents worth. I haven't given much lately, so I thought I'd throw some in! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Angel
    #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I only feed the DT's once a week, and everything is healthy, but when I first tried the product, I dosed the entire tank as recommended, and it was too much IMO.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have seen that alot and people sometimes dont realize that they are dosing to much untill its too late. I believe that every tank has its own consumption rate. Some can take more and some can only handle less.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

You're right! Mine handled the dose, and I could certainly do it daily. The only problem with that is I'd be going through a lot of expensive product when which would have likely caused an algae bloom or beautiful green water within the 1st week. Our corals might have crawled out of the tank to dominate the spa right across the room from them. We really saw increased growth. I have to take some new pictures. Our 180G is to the point now where all the corals are spreading out and growing around each other and such. It has that deep ocean mystical look! I love it!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

We have a club member [that is my outlet for the phyto] that douses a 3 leader
    battle all at one time each week.
    But he has over 500 gallon of water

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wow, 3 liters at a shot.... now that's a lot of greenwater, he must have a ton of critters to consume that much.... lookie there we have a new goal to reach for
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last