[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ultimate seahorse Tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

looking good there

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default update

Ok time for an update. I bought more Branch rock. Much nicer and bigger pieces.
    2/11/08 alk 300 nitrate 20 Nitrite 1 ammonia .25

I'm going to run this without a sump untill the wall unit is built, so I bought an AquaC Remora Pro skimmer and a fluval 405 canister filter.

I love the new rock work. It's perfect for seahorse hitching! I'm not sure which macros I'm adding to the tank yet. The feather caulerpa and the prolifera tend to cover the rocks quickly. I want to see the rocks, lol. Maybe some razor and red grape. Probably red string of pearls as well. I also want zoanthids to dominate this tank so the macros can not "sufficate" them.
    Because the tank is so deep I have decided on 1 - 175w MH and 2- 36" 95w VHO actinics. That will make the zoanthid colors "Pop". If the 175w halide seems to bright for the seahorses I will either switch to a 150w or a 70w halide. I love the "shimmer" from the halides.

We stuck a wooden seahorse to the outside of the tank, lol. It will have to do untill I get my new breeding stock.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

Very nice. I also have a new setup but I have yet to find Nitrates nitrites ammonia in my system yet.
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

how long has the tank been set up? What is in the tank now? Live rock? Live sand? I feed my tank 1 cube of hikari mysis a day.... I need to build up enough good bacteria to handle the bioload for when I add 4 seahorses.

I believe the stock for this tank will be 4 seahorses from seahorsesource, 1 pair of firefish, some macros, and a good clean up crew. Eventually I will add my mandarin that is in my 75g tank. (6 mos. or so when there are enough pods to support him) I also culture pods so it's not a big issue of him running out. I prefer to use the "cultured pods" for my seahorse fry.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

cubereefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

A good trick I learned at a very reputable LFS here in San Diego is to throw an uncooked shrimp into the tank (grocery-store shrimp is fine) and let it rot. It will introduce the bacteria you need and coalesce with the decaying matter from your new live-rock. When it rots, it will jump-start the nitrogen cycle....good to go in 3-4 weeks.

Just a thought....easy, cheap alternative.
    Good times to be had by all...all responsible for sharing good times...

Tank up since 12-23 80g 140# of #0 sand (Live) 130# live rocks in the referum red and green clecko alge 2 Hermits crabs red legs 1 white legge hermit approx 9 snails The rock came with a few star fish 3 bi valves 3 mussles and about 5 tube worms I put 8 pepermint shrimp in tank but something ate them (Think I got a mantis) so a bit afraid to put more in the tank till he starves to death. I guess I could seed the tank with a shrimp or mysis. I will think on that one Here is a current photo. Grue

dberrong - Reefkeeper CR Member

Nice. That's some serious current.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Darren
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right." (Henry Ford)

If the live rock was cured and you used live sand you may not get a big cycle. What kind of test kits are you using? What are you feeding the tank? An easy way to check for a mantis shrimp is put a piece of meaty food in a small container. A babyfood jar or similar works great. Turn the lights off and watch. It shouldn't take long for the mantis to "sniff it out". Do not kill the mantis. Some are quite beautiful. I'd set up a nano just for him. Or sell him to your local LFS.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Using seiferts test kits. was feeding snails mysis shrimps and phylo feast for the inverts. humm if I catch him I will eat him! so far he cost me 80 bucks in peppermint shrimps. So only question will be Curry sauce or deep batter for him.....

Ok been 5 months since last update. PONY up some pic's
    Grue

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2