[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Redford's First reef!

Bookmark and Share

Threaded View

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

Default Redford's First reef!

After contemplating Saltwater for about 20 years, I've taken the (hehehe) plunge.

90 gallon AGA. 1" drain with Durso Drain pipe. 3/4" return with two 1/2" Loc-line 6" adjustable nozzles

38 gallon Acrylic sump. (thanks Funnyguymi)!

Home-build stand.
    IMG 0141 - Redford's First reef!

48" Retrofit VHO lighting. (No ballast)
    IMG 0140 - Redford's First reef!

Still need:
    Skimmer, Return pump, Ballast

I was looking for a 45 gallon or so Reef to start. I wanted something decent without it being overly taxing on my checkbook. I stumbled across a firesale on another site and decided that If I was going to get a 45 gallon, I might as well get a 90 gallon.

IMG 0136 - Redford's First reef!

I wish I had pictures of when I got the tank. The tank had been established for years, and was drained about 12 hours before I picked it up. There was Coraline EVERYWHERE. Layers of it. I ended up with half a 2.5 gallon bucket full of Coraline scrapings and some sand/saltwater slurry. It smelled like rotted death. Terrible.

Two days of scraping yielded a mostly clean tank.
    IMG 0138 - Redford's First reef!

I was looking for a sump. Something I could fit under the home-made stand, but something useable. Enter FunnyGuyMi. Handed me a 38gallon pre-drilled sump that I could install my own baffles in! It fits in the stand perfectly (10" to spare).

IMG 0137 - Redford's First reef!

Up next: Source a cheap, usable pump. Plumbing. Water test with tap water. Purchase RO/DI and salt. Get Live Rock / Live Sand. Get dead rock / dead sand. Baffle Sump for Fuge, Return and Skimmer.

Stay tuned for more information! Watch as a complete newb mucks things up and manages to rectify them with the help of the amazing people here at CaptiveReefs!
    Last edited by RedfordReefer; 03-01-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Fixed Pictures