[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 10 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Mix up your epoxy if you're using that. I decided to go with this stuff as it gives the best thermal transfer as compared to using a thermal paste + screwing them down.
    Step 8 epoxy - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Use just a little bit of epoxy on the bottom of your LEDs.. a thin blob about 1/4 the size of the mixing tool.. here I used too much.
    Step 9 led down toomuch - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

This one is just about the right amount.
    Step 9 led down justright - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Blues all stuck down.
    Step 10 bluesdown - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Wire them together, positive of one to negative of the next.
    Step 11 blueswired - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Test firing the blues.
    Step 12 bluetest - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Here are the blues dimmed as far as possible using my current dimming circuit, as you can see, the driver is putting out 50 mA at this point and they will still make you see spots.
    Step 13 bluedimmest - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

This is the dimming circuit I put together - courtesy Evilc66 in a thread on RC.
    0 10VLM317 - XSiVE's 120 in-wall
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Repeat blue steps for white LEDs.
    Step 14 whitesdimmed - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Since I went with 72 total LEDS for my system, I ended up with what amounts to an exrta half a string(only 6 instead of 12) of each blue and white per pendant so I made a sort of "50/50" string.. It has trouble dimming, I assume because the different fV or something.
    Step 15 50 50 string - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

Bracket made from more aluminum L stock, and a little bit of 1/8" bar stock. these pieces are just bolted into the main L bracket with m3 nuts and bolts.
    Step 16 on wired splash bracket - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

all ready to do a full test.
    Step 17 ready to test - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

hanging.. holy crap I didnt think a light could be so heavy.. it's probably 20-25lbs!
    Step 18 hanging powered - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

yay! all lit!
    Step 19 all lit - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

and from underneath.
    Step 20 lit from bottom - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

I'll have more of this LED build to come, I have to condense all of the wiring into something that can easily connect to these.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Sweet build!!!

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very nice! so you just used epoxy to attach your LEDS to the aluminum? What type of epoxy? i am planning a build soon but i have seen some people screw them down and others not tell what they did.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    Very nice! so you just used epoxy to attach your LEDS to the aluminum? What type of epoxy? i am planning a build soon but i have seen some people screw them down and others not tell what they did.
    It's arctic silver thermal epoxy, it acts as both a bond and a heat transfer agent... the only drawback is that if you are going to get one of the LEDs off.. you will be replacing it and most likely scratching the aluminum.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

I spent all yesterday evening working on the small wiring details. My wrists and fingers are killing me.

here's how I placed the wiring container & fans overtop..

Step 21 fan and box rig - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

I was pretty damn tired but I hung them over the tank rag-tag using the hangars that I had supporting my halide setup. I will be getting some new roller track hangars to take care of this mess. It clearly needs some adjustment but its more than hard to do with the current setup. the fixtures are supposed to be about 8" from each other in the center, they are currently about 4 so my light spread is nowhere near what I want it to be.

Step 22 hang them needs adjust - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

then take a look at the before versus after.

I also need to dial in the color temp to something more my liking... I will probably do this while I wait for my roller track

Before: you can see how ambient the light is from the 2x250W 14k halides + actinic t5.
    Step 23 observe before shot - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

After: again, spread and color temp are not where I want them to be right now, so it looks "darker" at first glance, but pay particular attention to the orange monti cap. You can definitely see how much brighter the light actually is on this thing.
    Step 24 observe after shot - XSiVE's 120 in-wall

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

pretty sick xsive! i love the coraline growth on the tank
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

That is a very bright light!!! Good luck on aranging the color temp you are looking for. Looking forward to what ya come up with!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I see more color from the corals in the first pic-like the gsp and some shrooms-the Monti does look brighter in second pic but could that be cause it's closer to the lights then the other corals?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I see more color from the corals in the first pic-like the gsp and some shrooms-the Monti does look brighter in second pic but could that be cause it's closer to the lights then the other corals?
    There are a few reasons for this:

1. By the time I got the LEDs hung, the halides had been off for about an hour, then when I pulled the fixture down I had to turn the T5's off as well so the corals were well into their typical nighttime routine.

2. The pendants aren't positioned / configured how I want them. Once I lift them off the water a little more and position them to be more centered on each respective side of the tank the spread of light up the sides should be slightly better.. right now both pendants are too close to the center so the sides are lacking light.

Im going to re-hang them tonight, supported by turnbuckles from eye hooks in some 2x4's across the floor joists above. Im also ordering some roller track and rollers (right now in another tab) to hang them from McMaster-Carr.

The monti looks brighter because the light is simply brighter.. I wish I had an apogee to do some tests, but visually you can see how much brighter it is in person.
    Last edited by XSiVE; 08-04-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 10 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last