[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

2011 Nano Contest - sponsored by Nano Customs

Bookmark and Share
Page 4 of 10 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
    rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

I had no idea that the macros in your fuge would count... I was under the impressing this was a competition about corals. This may change the whole plan because it's going to seriously eat up my budget. I might just do a fun nano out of the competition...

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i think macros should not count as long as they are not in the picture of your display when judging takes place. say if you are judged just by your display and your fuge/sump has the macros and mangroves in it then they should not count against you but if you have the mangroves and macros in the display tank then they should count against you.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

^ Ditto ^

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Thanks for the price list. I didn't know bam bams go for $5pp. Guess I need to figure out the price of my chalice.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Just a few words about the budget....

The budget is in place to level the playing field and not turn the contest into an "arms race". I believe anyone can buy a lot of corals, arrange them neatly, and keep them alive for at least a month (last day to add livestock is April 30). Reefers that are the most successful long term, are able to grow corals and negotiate sales and trades which helps offset their costs for operation and acquiring new specimens. Conveniently, CR has everything you need to help you negotiate sales and trades.

Sales from corals coming out of your nano count as a negative budget item. In other words, if take a 10 polyp frag of bam bams from your existing display (which would count as $50 toward your budget) and grow them out to 15 polyps, then sell 5 polyps for $25...that 10 polyp frag only ends up counting as $25 toward your budget. Similarly, if you trade your 5 polyp frag to someone for a polyp of ppes, then the ppe didn't cost your budget anything. Further, if you purchased your bam bams from a CR sponsor for $50, it would only count as $25 toward your budget....then if you sell your 5 polyp frag for $25, the bam bams didn't count against the budget at all. It is important that you post your transactions and take photos so that everyone is aware of how you got to where you end up at the end of the contest.

Regarding macro algae, I agree with Justin. If your macro algae is in your sump or fuge, then it is part of the filtration system and not counted as livestock. Now if you are doing a macro algae display where the algae is part of the aesthetics of what you are trying to accomplish, then yes it is counted.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

jim, that makes it a little more clear. so ok right now i have a 20 polyp acan in there right now counting as $100 towards my budget, if in 2 months it grows 10 more polyps i could frag them off and that same 20 polyp acan will only count as $50 towards my budget now? that sounds i believe how you explained it.

the trading part i am a little confused about still though. i guess it is the same situation, if i have the 20 polyp acan and it grows 10 poylps and i frag them new 10 polyps off and trade it for lets say 3 poylps of rastas then it still only counts as the original 20 poylp acan even though i am now adding the rastas because i got them in a trade?

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Sounds correct Justin. At least that is how I understood it as well.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yes, that sounds right.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Information
    Clarification about Inverts:

In general, Fish and other livestock do not count toward the coral spending limit. However, anemones and clams (and other sessile invertebrates..e.g., sea apples, filter feeding cucumbers, etc.) count toward the spending limit as they are more coral-like than fish-like....crabs, shrimp, snails, and starfish would not count toward the coral budget.

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Good, then I can subtract the cost of the cleaners.

Page 4 of 10 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last