[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 8 of 18 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I updated the original post to reflect the changes in equipment and additional livestock acquisitions.

One issue I've encountered is that so much epoxy was used on this small water volume build, there is quite a bit of residue leaching or out-gassing into the water column and being collected by the skimmer. It finally seems to be slowing a bit, I'll do a few more water changes in the hope it totally dissipates.

I also need to increase the size of the heater as our offices are on a programmable thermostats that let things get quite chilly overnight. That coupled with the large percentage of surface area and lots water movement / evaporative cooling, 50 watts isn't quite enough to keep up.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 02-02-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

just curious, you have a lot over the budget, what do you plan on doing? Are you going to trade/sell or just going to pick and choose which ones you like best and only add those?

looks like mrcoral needs to give us a thanks after this contest lol! a lot of people got frags from them for this contest.

First Name
    Thomas

Cycle is underway (ammonia spike measured yesterday.) I'm dosing a bit of MB-7 in the hopes of speeding things up a bit.

The Reef Brite LEDs arrived - The coloration is about what I expected (to my eye ~18K) and will be a nice base that can be fine-tuned through T5 selection - Most importantly it provides just the right amount of shimmer and added PAR. Still working on how to attach it to the T5 fixture.

The modular design of the Puzzle Rock is both a boon and a curse. Although the space is very tight for the amount of rock in the tank (less than 1/2" wall clearance in some areas) It's very easy to move and rearrange the pillars. The curse is I can't seem to leave it alone. I spent about 3 hours last night making tiny adjustments and placing base rocks. Working in the lower part of the tank is very tedious. Every rock placement and readjustment has to be done with 12" curved forceps. It's rather like a reef version of the game "Operation". The design goal is that every rock is created, selected and placed so as to appear as if it might have been there naturally (or at least as much as much as possible) and that is serves a function for the type of animal intended to be placed there (light, flow, space...)

I "think" I've finally reached a design I'm happy with. I was able to relocate all of the mechanics (heater, ORP probe, pH probe, Temp sensor, Osmolator sensor and top-off line) behind or immediately beside the skimmer. The AC20 tucks nicely beside the skimmer and is working great. 100gph of dead silent mechanical filtration that will hold enough GAC and/or GFO as needed. A pleasant surprise is that it rests perfectly on-top of one of the Tunze 6015 attachment magnets, freeing up even more space.

It's a bit hard to visualize - I'll post pics tonight.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 02-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jolson10450 View Post
    just curious, you have a lot over the budget, what do you plan on doing? Are you going to trade/sell or just going to pick and choose which ones you like best and only add those?

looks like mrcoral needs to give us a thanks after this contest lol! a lot of people got frags from them for this contest.
    How can I be over-budget? - There's nothing in the tank?

As I indicated in the original post, at present that list just shows the livestock that has been acquired. I'll "cherry-pick" the best for this build and put the rest into my DT or FT. Once I know what's destined for the Nano, I'll update the spreadsheet and attach the receipts.

I made one more buy from Mr. Coral that I haven't posted yet. All in all, I'm very pleased with what I've received. The Frags are understandably small (as expected at the price points) but all have been received in good condition and pest free. I actually prefer starting this tank using very small frags. It will hopefully make for more dynamic growth photos

First Name
    Thomas

Here are a few photos showing the new mechanics layout and aquascaping. Once again - sorry for the poor quality photos. The water was still a bit cloudy and I was working with my sons camera (I've been DSLR-less since my camera bag was stolen at DTW about a year ago.) I've got a Nikon D7000 being delivered tomorrow that once I get through the learning curve, should provide for a significant increase in my photo quality

DSC 0338 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 0339 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

The epoxy joints that are visible now should quickly disappear once Coralline gets a foothold.
    DSC 0340 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 0341 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Although it looks like one mass of rocks, none of the pieces that span pillars are epoxied to both, in fact, very few even "touch" This allows for small adjustments and for the removal of any column if needed.
    DSC 0342 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Most of the bridges criss-cross front to back and have complimentary angles and elevations to showcase specific corals and allow enough light to pass through to corals placed beneath.
    DSC 0378 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

This is a top-down shot showing Frag mounting areas and the spaces that allow light and water-flow to penetrate to the areas below.
    DSC 0382 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Here you can see all the probes and equipment "wedged" into the right end of the tank. The AC20 is actually resting on the attachment magnet of one of the Tunze 6025s. Considering how "Stuff" is crammed into a little space, I think it works reasonable well. I'll have to watch to make sure the close proximity of the probes to one another doesn't cause interference.
    DSC 0343 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

I'm still working on how to attach the ReefBrite to the T5 fixture. I think it will be a nice addition - It creates a perfect amount of shimmer.
    DSC 0384 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 0392 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 0396 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 02-04-2011 at 04:39 PM.

2pairs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

I will have to say from the start this has been quite well thought out and not just tossed together and it shows it in all aspects rock work, equipment, placement. I am looking forward to seeing it with corals as I am sure most of us are.
    If that was on my desk I don't think I would ever get any paper work done.

First Name
    Thomas

Thanks Jim - I'll admit I've spent far more hours building this tiny 12 gallon than any other previous tank. I agree about the productivity loss - even with nothing in it but rock, I already find myself gazing into it. I'm concerned I'll get little done once 60+ corals take up residence

brandeewyne - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    brandee

the time and thought put into the build speaks loudly! it's coming along beautifully, Tom!

i'm curious how you'll attach the reefbright to your t5 fixture .. i see brackets on the endcaps, are those stock or something you've added?

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by brandeewyne View Post
    the time and thought put into the build speaks loudly! it's coming along beautifully, Tom!

i'm curious how you'll attach the reefbright to your t5 fixture .. i see brackets on the endcaps, are those stock or something you've added?
    Thanks Brandee

The brackets on the ends of the Reef Brite are the stock mounting method. The angle of the brackets can be adjusted by a screw in the end of the RBs. I've reversed the T5 fixture (back of the light towards the front of the tank) as there is enough space allowing me to drill and mount the RB to the underside of the T5 fixture without blocking any light from the T5s. It "should" also provide enough clearance around the RB to maintain cooling.

I'm excited to get them mounted - The amount of shimmer is perfect. It creates a stunning effect as the light pierces through all the holes and gaps in the rock. It really changes the whole look and feel of the tank... AND, compliments of this morning's UPS delivery...

2011 02 05 105210 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

I'll be able to show the shimmer in 1080P HD

First Name
    Thomas

As I'm starting to think through coral selection and placement, a couple of challenges;

Allelopathy
    As the plan calls for very dense stocking with a variety of species, and the total water volume of the tank is only 7.5 gallons, allelopathy is a real concern. I've created areas where same-species can be located closely together while trying to maintain enough distance (and water flow) from other species to hopefully prevent chemical warfare - especially with those corals that tend to be "poor neighbors" (i.e. Acanthastrea echinata.) I also plan on running ROX 0.8 continuously in the AC20 with the hopes of minimizing problems.

Calcium / Alkalinity / Magnesium
    Based on what I've learned by maintaining small tanks with lots of SPS and LPS, I don't think even frequent water changes will be sufficient to maintain stable mineral levels. I've ordered 2 BRS peristaltic dosing pumps that will be controlled by the Apex to dose Ca and ALK. Mag can be dosed manually as needed to maintain 1350. With such a small water volume, salinity creep from the 2-part dosing will likely require occasional manual removal of saltwater so the ATO can add fresh.

The biggest challenge might be finding space to "weasel" in the dosing drip tubes

Page 8 of 18 First ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last