[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mangrove Info

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Mangrove Info

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I got a Mangrove from a lfs about 3 months ago it was just about 5'' tall#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#with no shots but Nisse and green.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The thing is still Nisei and green but looks the same as the day i got it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is it dead or whit? i don't no the first thing about them. so give me a little#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#education on them#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

bjpembo - Reefkeeper Registered User

i dont know much about them either, i know your supposed to wipe its leaves on a regular basis to remove the salt it expels but other than that, i dunno.
    BJ

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

The mangroves that cover the intercoastal shorelines around here are found in very silty/mucky substrate.They thrive under the bright tropical sunshine.If i were keeping them,i'd try to duplicate those conditions.Once a yr,they release their pods and they can be found by the thousands in the IntercoastalWaterway,I had considered collecting a few and trying to grow them.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I may not have Enif light for them i only have 2 * 26 watt florescent on
    the fudge. I just got it to see whit Thea look like iv heard so much about them
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I know is that they require a lot of light and I see them most commonly in the refugiums of tanks, due to the substrate that they require. Other than that I dont know much. I know they remove something but not sure what. Maybe someone can help me out on that as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

CR Member

Thanks.. Ill put this to good use

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You must take a mangrove seed pod and place the thicker pointed end into the substrate. The other end should be sticking out of the water. If you do this in a few weeks time leaves will sprout from the top. If you leave the seed sideways it will not sprout.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chris B.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How is your mangrove doing? Mangroves will grow in just about anything from sand to muck to rocks. The key is placing the mangrove seed upright. Once the seed is placed upright, it activates and begines to grow. A seed will begin to sprought if kept horizontal long enough, but it usually takes a very long time. If your tank is to deep, just tie wrap it to a hose or spought or a rock for that matter. Just make sure that it is upright and that the top is sticking out of the water just a little bit. Some of these companies that are raising mangroves are raising them in fresh water. If you put a fresh water mangrove into salt water it will die. You must put it in a cup of fresh water and slowly add salt over a period of weeks until you reach the salinity of your tank. I have kept mangroves alive with as little as 2 - 40 Watt bulbs. You must periodically wipe the leaves with clean fresh water. (In nature, the rain does this.) If salt builds up on the leaves, they will eventually die. Mangoves can actually filter the salt out of the water. The salt is excreted from the base of leaf on the bottom side. Mangroves also filter other solids and waste from the water. That is about the extent of my mangove knowledge. Oh one more thing. Rizophora Mangle (Red Mangrove). Chris#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Chris B.

If it is hardy, I will find a way to kill it. Just Kidding!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Hmmmm... sounds like an interesting undertaking... think we'll have to see about getting our paws on a few mangrove seeds to see if they'll grow in my planted SW tank.

I've seen some pictures of some folks' mangroves they looked to be 2-3' tall... are they relatively fast/slow growers? (should be read how long before they'd outgrow my tank/canopy)
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last