[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Peppermint Shrimp

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

that is how it sounds in my show tank. when I feed the coral my tangs literally PUSH my hand out of the way!!!!!! my blue tang tries to joust me with her scalpel on her back fin. its a pain in the rear
    fulltankshot 1 - Peppermint Shrimp

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

oops... I forgot this was a species spotlight. If anyone wants to delete any irrelevant material.... feel free.

Renee

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Nope that is quite allright!!!!! irrelevancy is allright in moderation!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - Peppermint Shrimp

My peppermint shrimp commited suicide, but before he did he had his share of "fun" trying to steal food when I fed my corals... him and the cleaner both. I have since moved almost every coral over to my other tank, which is shrimp-less just for this reason. Makes feeding the corals easier, on me and them!

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

I believe some one asked earlier about pepperments eating poylps ealier, the answer is yes and no. If you get the proper shrimp that you want as discribed in the artical you will have no problems. How every being that there are 3 sub. spec. of pepperment that isn't always posible. One is much like the cleaner shrimp very hard to find. Anthor eats polyps, mushrooms, and other stuff ou don't want it to. The third is well discribed by grafixx (sorry I am in lazy mode today). Now here come the real big problem and why I feel people in florada should not have pepperments in their tanks. Hurricans!!! After floroda getting hit so hard and so many houses destroyed and wash around guess wait happened to all those fish and creature who were in the tanks. Back into the sea. It is possible to interbreed the different shrimps in the pepperment family. This has lead to a problem were some of the pepperments bought from places like reeftoopa wich is a great company, selling pepperments that arn't what you want. There are some places out there that deal with captive bread pepperments. I only know of one who is wholesale only, sorry can give out the name either, not by choice he sells out to quick for any new customers. Any was that is my little crum of info to add to the bag of nice potato chips. good work all.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

i have never had any trouble with the one in my 55 gal. he is also very active when i feed the tank no matter what time of the day it is
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

How big do the peppermints get? I have a pair of them that I have had for over a year and they are huge! Like 3+ inches huge. They are in my seahorse tank. I keep a close eye on them to make sure they are not bothering the seahorses. I will try to get a pic of them next to an adult erectus so you can get an idea how big they are. Not easy to do since they hide a lot. He he he, even though they are huge, my oldest female erectus still eyes them up. She know live food when she sees it, lol.

Angie

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Mine are large too. At least 3 inches long. I got them at a 1 inch size because if they were any smaller, the ponies would murder them. They don't harass my fish at all and provide a spawn every two weeks or so. The ponies and pipefish LOVE the little baby shrimp.

You can see one in the bottom right corner of this picture. It truly shows how large they are in compared to the 5 and 6 inch seahorses.

DAVEPONY - Peppermint Shrimp

And another... closer shot.

Shrimp - Peppermint Shrimp

Dave
    ><((((

Seahorse,These lil bugger do that in my nano but to any corals I'm feeding best thing is I get a chunk of diced fresh squid (or other larger food source)and put in front of them to keep them busy. Try that let me know if it works for you

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

Speaking of peps and seeing the name "The Coral Bandit". Our CBS ate one of the large peps that DO eat appies. Ate it last night. Greg said he was eating it like he was smoking a cigar. Since he lost The one claw in the move he has become very aggressive. Probably because he is feeling very insecure and vulnerable.

Renee

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last