[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sea Hares

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Sea Hares

As most of you know I've been fighting hair algae for what seems like forever. About the only 2 things I have not tried is "cooking the rock" and a sea hare. I did have a lettuce nudibranch, but it went MIA like most of them do. (it never ate the hair algae anyways.)

Anyone know where I can get a few of the sea hares? I could order them on line, but that's $50 in shipping I can not afford. If anyone lives close by that sees one in an LFS or is ordering from a vendor that has them, please let me know. I live fairly close to reef_Angel and Dakar. GrandMasterToad is within driving distance also.

I'm getting fed up with the whole mess. I can not figure out what is feeding the algae. Here is a list of the entire tank contents. It is a 125 G RR with 200 lbs of Live rock and a 6 inch sand bed.

Fish:
    2 false percs
    2 scooter blennies
    1 yellow tang
    lawnmower Blennie (won't touch the hair algae)
    1 yellow tail damsel
    1 clown gobie

Inverts:
    6 peppermint shrimp
    4 emerald crabs
    2 cucumbers
    100 or so snails (assorted kinds)
    50+ red and blue leg crabs
    1 huge brittle star

Corals and Misc.
    3 ricordia yuma
    singularia
    tons of zoanthids
    toadstools
    mushrooms
    3 different palys
    sponges
    Hammer corals with 9 heads

Lighting:
    3 250w 20k MH on a timer. Lighting is 8 hrs a day.

I have a 45 G sump packed with chaeto
    Pro Clear aquatics skimmer (rated for 250 Gallons)
    Mag 12 for return plus 4 power heads for circulation.
    I use RO/DI water

Calcium 350-400
    Ph 8.2-8.4
    Nitrite 0
    nitrate 20 (can't get it any lower)
    ammonia 0

I feed every other day flake and frozen.

I add Kent Marine Tech CB 2 part additive for calcium and alk every other day and kent marine essential elements. I also add iodine as needed.

Any input or help would be appreciated. I'm starting to think the 125 would make a nice planted freshwater tank !!!! Please help before I tear it down and give up. I've removed all of the rock and scrubbed it too many times already. I don't want to do that again because the hair algae comes back again in a few weeks. Plus it upsets everything in the tank and lowers my pods populations. I think I killed too many bugs doing that the last time, I noticed my scooter blennies got a little on the thin side after that.

Thanks,
    Angie

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Angie, have you tested phosphate levels? I know you were looking at replacing the MH's with new a while back, did that happen yet?

Sounds like your lawnmover blennie needs to be fired.... ours is keeping most of it in check, pretty good outbreak since the new lights. But it has to be feeding on something.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quit using any additives besides the ca/alk maintanance... essential elements can be a great place for nutrients to feed HA. If you are using only chaeto in the sump, run the lighting 24/7(it won't go sexual). Feed as you are, but try reducing the amount you feed. I have gone a week or more without feeding during a bloom with absolutely no ill effects on the critters. Crop what you can by hand and remove and drop your lighting cycle to 4-6 hpd(the actual amount of lighting time needed to sustain photosynthetic animals). Lastly, be patient and monitor the effects. Really, don't get so down as to quit... give my advice a try. When you see that the HA is GONE(not just reduced), begin acclimenting your tank to the increased lighting. I am confident that this will do the trick. As long as the TDS in the ro/di is below 2, you control and further reduce feedings, and have a quality list of test results... you're bound to be algae free(hair algae, that is).

Repto
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I fought hair algae for several months. The final cure was my new skimmer AquaC EV120. All of the hair algae just melted away in about 2 weeks. Not a trace left. :D Sounds like you have a capable skimmer though. Does your skimmer seem to be functioning correctly and effectively?

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dakar....yes I replaced the bulbs at that time. I do not have a phosphate test kit. Doesn't look like I'll have one for awhile either.

Whoyah.... If I could afford an AquaC EV120 I wouldn't have a pro clear aquatics skimmer, lol Since I can't afford that I have to make due with what I have. BUT.. once I can afford a major purchase...it WILL be a rockin skimmer.

Repto....I set the timer for the lights at 4 hours a day. I will stop adding the essential elements. I do run the sump lighting 24/7. The only time it was ever off was when the bulb burned out. I will give this a try.

I will let everyone know if this works. I'm going to take some pictures of the HA as it is now, and then more as it hopefully goes away. I will date them to see how long it actually takes to be free of HA completely.

Thanks everyone. You guys are the best.

Angie

Now... don't forget to be patient!!!

BTW... if you can boost air input into the skimmer(limestone air stones, larger venturi pump, or both, etc) and you or the hubby is into "souping" something up, give 'er a try... it's kinda like adding turbo, a high performance air filter, and super chip to a 4 banger makin' it outrun those beefed V8's.

Repto

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hey Angie.... I really listened to Repto's advice about feeding, and the fish really keep the tank cleaner now!! I only give frozen food & hand feed every week to every week and a half now and everyone is very happy. No more cyano which was always my problem. Between to much frozen food and adjusting the lighting, we haven't seen any for awhile! *knock wood* I only do flake food in between those feedings and everyones good!! I told ya Repto would be a good guy to ask! This whole board and the people on it truely ROCK!!! ......Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Ahhh, you guys are too much... some time soon, you'll be the ones giving this advice to someone you think can use it... just like it was given to me when I was having similar issues.