[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Bookmark and Share
    Bongo Shrimp - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    L. carmabi

Default Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

So recently I started trying to take some macro photos of my reef and I figured I'd show you all my little trick to take these pics without a macro lens. I use a Nikon D80, a standard 30mm lens and parts I already had on hand to build this adapter. However, the most important parts can be purchased for less than $15 (other than the camera and the lens or course).

What you need:

I don't have a second camera body cap to demonstrate the exact steps but I think you'll understand. Feel free to ask if you don't.

First, take the camera body cap and cut out the inner plastic. Make sure you don't cut out the part that locks into the camera, only cut out the inner most part. You can use a small drill bit to make a hole to get you started, then a serrated knife or small saw works best on the plastic. You could also try heating up a knife with a lighter so that it melts through the plastic to get you started.

Camera Body Cap:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aN3U2LrlL.jpg

What to cut:
    lenscapcutout zpsec37b66f - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Next, identify the male and female sides of the lens protector and super glue the female side down, onto the top of the camera body cap. Try not to touch the lens protector with superglue on your hands or you may not be able to get the smudges off.

Lens Protector (female side is facing upwards in this picture):
    IMG 3531 zps6db0ba56 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

And you're done. Yes, really.

This is the finished product:
    IMG 3522 zps6a984658 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

IMG 3523 zps79be6280 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

IMG 3524 zps944ad8b4 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Now screw the camera body cap into the camera body:
    IMG 3527 zpsdc2302e1 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Then screw the lens onto the adapter:
    lensadapterdiagram zps341a6155 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

IMG 3528 zps8c2005ab - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

IMG 3529 zpse2115c96 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

A few shooting tips:
    Because the lens was not meant to be mounted this way, very little light is let into the lens. Even when looking through the viewfinder, it will be extremely dark. To see what I am aiming at, I hold a small bright LED flashlight with one hand and point it at my target while looking through the viewfinder. It's a juggling act but you will get used to it.
    I also use a tripod and take a long exposure shot. I usually play with the settings until I get it right. You cannot use "auto" mode to take pictures using this method. I also use the timer setting to take the pics because when you are zoomed in so close, the tiniest movement will cause blur.
    The timer setting will allow you to focus everything, hit the shutter button, and then let go of the camera completely while it takes the pic so that it sits perfectly still while the shutter is open. You'll also want to turn off all flow and for the most part limit yourself to stationary objects because of blur.
    This method of taking macro photos is a little unconventional and takes getting used to. However, once you get used to it and practice practice practice, you'll find the results very rewarding.

DSC04731 zps6939cd04 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

DSC04711 zpsb2be86fe - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

DSC04691 zps8cbd8861 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

DSC0371 zps1da75c40 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Some older ones when I first tried this method years ago. (I just recently tried it again after getting frustrated with it when I was newer to the DSLR)
     DSC0066 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

DSC0063 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

DSC0071 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15

Hope you all like this little how-to.
    Last edited by Bongo Shrimp; 01-30-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    My Bongo Shrimp Want To Eat Your Starfish.

Wow! Very interesting technique!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

DSC0371 zps1da75c40 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15\

ID Please!

First Name
    L. carmabi

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Wow! Very interesting technique!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
     DSC0371 zps1da75c40 - Use any macro lens as a macro lens DIY for less than $15\

ID Please!
    Coelothrix irregularis. It's a neat one isn't it.

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Shrimp View Post
    Thank you!

Coelothrix irregularis. It's a neat one isn't it.
    How much? and what lighting are you using.

First Name
    L. carmabi

How much? and what lighting are you using.
    Sorry, not for sale. And I use an Aquaticlife 4 T5 fixture.

First Name
    Doug

let me know if it ever is for sale, id like to put that in my macro tank.

First Name
    L. carmabi

let me know if it ever is for sale, id like to put that in my macro tank.
    Ok will do.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Neat idea there Gordon!

I found another tutorial that shows some extension tubes to increase the lens length as well:
    A Poor Man?s Guide to Budget Macro Photography

First Name
    L. carmabi

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Neat idea there Gordon!
    Thanks Jim!