[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Auto feeder? Do you use one? Suggestions ??

Bookmark and Share
    binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Default Auto feeder? Do you use one? Suggestions ??

I am looking at Auto feeders and it becomes clear to me that 1) they are all made of plastic 2) they pretty much cost the same 3) none of them really look dependable and most importantly 4 th) I have no idea which one to try. So in the hopes of avoiding the usual buying of two or three of the same thing to get what I am hopeing for I am asking my fellow reefers who use em,and which one do you use and how happy are you with the performance and dependability. I am hopeing to be able to leave the house for more then two days without havering to ask friends who don't like to mess with something they like to look at but are horrified to be responsible for (that is a quote from both of them )or even worst havering to pay someone to come and feed my tank at 50.00 a day. Any input would be appreciated and thanks for looking !

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I'm pretty sure those nice DIY food cubes will just melt and make a big mess + ooze out over feeding the tank the 1st day LOL

FWIW I have never used one, always been scared to after hearing how they tend to stick open and overfeed.... I am sure they can't all be bad tho, right??
    Lol guess your right better use pelet's. I have had the same fear also.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Super-feeder, none better and the most accurate feeding mechanism.

http://www.super-feeder.com/

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Super-feeder, none better and the most accurate feeding mechanism.

Super Feeder - Automatic Cat Feeder - Automatic Aquarium Fish Feeder - Automatic Outdoor Feeder
    That is the nicest one I have seen so far. Do you use this feeder ?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

That's the one I use. Connect it to your apex and you're good to go. Still need to callibrate it with the food you are feeding to be sure it is feeding the amount you want.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Yes Sir, Jim turned me on to it. Hooked up to my Neptune and never looked back. Plus the hopper is big so it holds a lot of food. Set it and forget it.

I've had mine for geez 6 or 7 years now. I did have to replace the motor once. Called them and had a new motor in 4 days and they only charged me $10. Great people to deal with.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I agree the superfeeder is the best. I used one for a short while but with only 3 fish I was not able to dial it down enough. So, mine is just sitting in storage... I'm not ready to sell it but if you wanted to borrow it I'm game. Use it for a couple months to see if you like it.

Tom

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

I've used a superfeeder 5 years now. I like that it has the moisture trap funnel, allows me to feed flake. Ensures that it just doesn't go through overflow.
    240 gal. Miracles, 3x 1.5" Beananimal overflow, 60 gal. Frag tank, 120 gal sump. Skimmer: SRO XT5000 EXT, Return Pump: Reeflow Hammerhead Gold Hybrid. Reef Dynamic Biopellet reactor, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor. Lights: 9x AI Sol Blue. Controller: Apex, 40 gal QT

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I agree the superfeeder is the best. I used one for a short while but with only 3 fish I was not able to dial it down enough. So, mine is just sitting in storage... I'm not ready to sell it but if you wanted to borrow it I'm game. Use it for a couple months to see if you like it.

Tom
    Tx for the offer Tom. Ordered one last night. Thanks for the input guy's the Mrs. Looked at it once and ordered it! Guess she really does want to go camping this year ! Lol looking forward to getting it hooked up,just need to make a lid with a feed chute now !