[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acro's

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

I'm kinda with ereefic, I would pay for the Mag. so that I don't have to worry about a slight problem with using some home remidy. Peace of mind has a value too.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Has anyone ever noticed any adverse reactions when Mag levels drop?

I think I may, my sps's aren't coming out. I need to test my mag to find out if they are low, but I think thats what it is. At least I hope.

Whats your acclimation procedure for newly acquired SPS?Are they bought from mogul-based halide systems? HQI is intense and some corals can take along time to acclimate.Have you tried moving the corals with no polyp expansion down to SB to see how they respond to less light?.

ereefic - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think the biggest problem with low Mag. is that it can be hard to balance Alk. and Cal. As to how low Mag. actually affects the corals, I have no clue. I'm sure it has something to do with the skeletal structure of the coral.

After checking in the chemistry forum on RC, it sounds like it's ok to use occasionally. Seeing that normally you don't need to fudge with the Mag. Still, i'll go with the Tech-M, it works for me. I'm not a big 'experimenter'

I never thought about the mogul halide having an effect. Yes, my acros's come from a tank that has the mogul type hal light. What does SB mean? Would the intense light kill them? Or would they take a few days to adjust and then open up?

SB=sandbed
    Intense light can kill SPS if not acclimated slowly.It usually takes a few weeks and they generally bleach first.IME,the stress can also lead to tissue peeling/RTN.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sand Bed or bottom Davie is to fast for me
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Well the intense light could be the cause. They are coming from a tank with 6 400 watt mogul MH bulbs, supplemented with VHO actinics. This is a 500 gallon tank. Then they are coming to my tank, 46 gallon, and going under one 250 watt HQI. Do you think that the light is too intense. I put the acro frags right under the HQI about 6" from the surface. They are coming from about the same spot in the 500. Think that may have something to do with it? Thanks for the info.

yeah,it sound like you need to acclimate slower,starting on the SB for a week or 2 then moving up to desired spot.Unless i buy SPS from a similiar lighting to mine,it ususlly takes about 3-4 wks before i will place it right under the bulb.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last