[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Bayer Advanced dips. Whos using them and what are you using?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Cool, thanks. I agree, it seems to work great as a dip. I wish I had tried it when I had AEFW but I tossed them all and started over.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am asking about 2 seperate bayer advance products-

Complete Insect Killer

and also

Home Pest + Germ Killer

Which did/do you guys use?

Binford- Which did your freind use, that caused the fish blindness?

I like the idea of dipping and quarentining. From what I have read, very hit or miss, the residules (even when rinced) had caused some invert death/paralization in a tank. Doesnt happen to all, but has happened.

I have also read that intence lighting breaks down these insecticides? In a few days? More info and first hand experiences on that would be great also.

I appreciate the info shared so far.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post

1 thing I want to point out to everyone and I know its been said other places but.... this stuff is a pesticide, please do not put your fingers into this stuff.... use tongs/ tweezers whatever, but DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS INTO THE MIX! Also you should not breathe the fumes in either, a good ventilated area is highly recommended! I used to have a lawn care business and trust me none of that stuff is designed to be skin/ lung/ eye etc friendly and most of it contains stuff that is known to cause cancer and all kinds of other nasty stuff.
    Thanks for the heads up! I might not have taken this precaution if you hadnt posted it. Much appreciated bro!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I believe he used the complete insect killer. It is a good point to bring up the rinse. I personally rinse in fresh SW mix after any dip.I actually soak then rinse to be honest. Interceptor has come up for some reason so I figured I would throw in my .02 on it. Interceptor is only effective on bugs it will not help with AEFW. You can still get it but it is now sold as pig dewormer. So get to know your local pig farmer! Glad my wife's a country girl and all her cousins raise pigs! What ever you Decied to use as a dip Chris it is still important to QT. nothing is perfect and it is much easier to solve an issue in QT then in your DT. On a side note when he did dip in the Bayer he noticed huge increase in polyp extension and improved color almost immediately. The colony's we're to big to put in his QT so he had no choice but to put it back into his DT. The worms did come back and he had to re fight them again. These things are tough ! Prevention is the best action !

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Complete for me

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

So glad to have read this thread this morning. I've had to deal with red bugs in the past and with interceptor being off the market I ended up losing some acros. I've been looking for an alternative to interceptor with no luck. I stopped by the HD after work today and picked up a bottle of the Bayer complete and dipped one of my acros that I've seen some bugs on for ten minutes. I just basically filled the cap and mixed it with about a gallon of tank water. I let the acro sit in another bowl of fresh tank water for another ten minutes. When I placed the frag back into my frag tank within five minutes all the polyps were extended and I mean ALL polyps. I've always used revive in the past and you could tell that a lot of the acros were less than thrilled to be dipped in it. This stuff seems a lot less abrasive to acros. It really didn't seem to stress it out besides the removing it from the tank to a bowl. I dipped it around 8 this evening and haven't seen a sign of a bug yet but ill keep my eye on it for the next couple days and report back with more info

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Indeed you are correct. I just dipped the one frag as a test to see how it would react to the dip before I did them all. Like I said earlier, it worked great and I feel 100% confident to dip everything now. Thanks for looking out and I have to say I love the pics of your sps colonies that you posted, very inspiring.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    If you had bugs on a piece in your system and just dipped that piece you still have bugs in your system so that dip will be just a temporary fix...
    Well put. If one has bugs they all have bugs. You need to treat the complete tank for bugs

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

there is one thing i forgot to mention and i figured i should bring it up as there are several other reefers that are joinging me in macro algae. bayer advanced can be taken up by plants ( i am unsure of how it is taken up, wether by the roots and can permeate through the leaves etc.) and in simple environmental science terms its what we call a persistant pesticide, as it doesnt breakdown quickly and remains effective for some time. i have never used this dip on a plant im not even sure if it would work. but if the plant does survive ( i would assume it would as its designed tobe safe for plants) i would not feed it to a fish as many of us commonly do when a palatable macro becomes too large.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2