[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I am the grim reaper of Acros

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

I appreciate the concern, but I think I've just taken some bad pics. However, I do plan on more frequent water changes with the display tank water, and to get rid of the sponge filter. I have the lights on a timer now, and will try to get another powerhead in the tank I just don't have a way to have them turn off and on as I can't afford another one of those "wave like" timers for a little bit. Thanks for the input everyone, and if there is more to say, I'll be glad to hear it!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I can't add anything to what binford and chort have already stated. You have been provided with some really good advice by those 2. Good luck and keep us posed.

CR Member
    First Name
    Gary

Default Major Cyano!

Dude shut it down and start over. I think if You just break the qt down clean it up and start over with water from the dt and use the advice given you will be good. Major algae problems. Which also an indicator of flow insufficiency.

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Quick update: My meteor shower cyphastrea is developing white spots, and my green birdsnest is getting paler. However, in the last few days, I've been adding water from the main tank and vacuuming out pieces of algal from the quarantine tank. They've got a week to go before they can come out of quarantine so I hope they and the rest make it. I also removed the sponge filter. Thanks for the advice everyone, and I"ll keep you all posted over the next week. Have a nice night.

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

It will be two weeks this Sunday. As for pest, one coral had bubble algae on the plug, but I removed it before quarantine, and haven't seen it reappear yet. The two in question haven't shown any pests that I can see.

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Hmmm, it's hard to argue with the person that just won the photo award for such a pretty acro. However, I had planned on continuous organisms going into quarantine over the next few months. For example, I'm in Ft. Wayne this weekend and might get some corals since I'm not down here often. I think between taking everyone's advice (other than using a different tank instead) and not buying any SPSs until I'm more convinced my quarantine tank is "up to snuff", I think I'll be ok. I probably will take the corals out when I get back to Lansing. I appreciate everyone's help. I'll post updates that will hopefully result in a happy ending for things in quarantine for me.
    Last edited by msumatt; 11-02-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Changed acro to SPS

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Hi again everyone,

Just thought I'd provide the most recent update on that quarantine tank. Firstly, I started of with 9 corals in quarantine and 1 died before being removed from quarantine and the other two were dying when removed a week early (2 weeks in quarantine). They died a little later on in the main tank. Once again, all three were acros or similar to acros. The other six made it though my meteor shower cyphastrea, was half skeletonized by the time I removed it but it has since recovered in the main tank. The rest didn't show signs of distress in quarantine and are doing fine in the main tank. Once those came out, I drained the tank and let it sit empty for a few days so it could dry out. I removed 2 of the T5s and do weekly biweekly water changes from the main tank into the quarantine. It seems to be ok, but I've only quarantined fish in their since then, I hope it will do better with the corals now since that Lansing swap is coming up. I think that's it, there is probably no reason to keep this thread open. Thanks for the help everyone. Have a nice holiday season.

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Oh. The differences from the original set up is that I have half the lighting to regulate temperature better, no bubble filter anymore, draining and cleaning the tank, and using water from the main tank when replacing water from the quarantine tank. So far, it's been about a month and the water changes are keeping everything under control.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2