[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

kenya tree

Bookmark and Share

Default kenya tree

Since I was starting to get the hang of what I had in my tank I thought I'd try a new frag and got a Kenya tree. It's been in the tank for about a week now and three of the four branches are shriveled up and lying on the rock while the fourth branch is standing up with polyps open swaying in the current. About two weeks prior to that my one and only mushroom polyp sucked itself in itself and hasn't opened up since. I have no detectable ammonia, nitrite or nitrate and my cal is 450 and alk at 12. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would keep an eye on him. he may pop back to life. if not you could trim off the dead branches. kenya tree is a pretty hardy coral.
    fulltankshot 1 - kenya tree

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

We have tons of Kenya, and the fact that you've got a happy branch is a positive sign. The Kenya is just taking it's sweet time acclimating to your tank. Give it time, it will open up and grow like crazy. Then it will shed little pieces of itself and you'll have babies all over your tank! They make for a good trading coral. You'll have so much Kenya, you won't know what to do with it. We actually weed it out at times since the babies just fall off the mother colony, get blown around a bit and then attach themselves to the place they want to be. Am I correct in assuming it's mounted to a rock? Kenya is pretty when it's opened up and happy, but they can be a temperamental coral, doing exactly what you're describing at any time, or not getting along with it's coral neighbor. I had my candy cane coral next to it, and both of them were hopping mad and having a toxin war. Just move on of the coral to a different location so they don't fight! We have 4 of them that grouped themselves on a good sized rock, and once in a while you'll maybe see one in the clump that didn't open that day. Moody little buggers, but also very hardy. They add nice color, and their branches sway with the flow of your powerheads. Place it about mid-level in your tank, and in an area with good flow. This coral is a good indicator of illness or water problems. You said your water tests out fine. If other things in the tank looked ill, I'd re-test the tank water, but that doesn't seem to be the issue from your explanation. Patience may be all that's needed
    As far as your mushroom goes, it's possible that he got a hold of some good food in your water colony. They will close up like that if they're feeding on something. If the mushroom doesn't like it's location, it will pick up and move to a spot it likes better. I don't think you have anything to worry about there either.
    I'm sure other members will pop in and share their thoughts on this also. Good luck, and enjoy your Kenya when he feels at home....and that won't be long!
    .....Angel :angel2:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~