[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Xenia Refuge for Nutrient export

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

dont give up, I did some fragging of xenia and has some polyps that were fragged and I just threw them in one of my tanks and thought nothing of it. well a few weeks later you could see all of these baby xenia popping up everywhere. they grow like weeds but I love them as well.
    fulltankshot 1 - Xenia Refuge for Nutrient export

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

IME,the best way to get frags established in the display is this.If they are unattached to anything,take a small tupperware container and add some LR rubble,snail shells,etc.. to the bottom of the container.Fill it with tank water and put the unattached frags in the container wedging them in between the rubble.Dont worry about burying them either,you want them to be secure.Carefully place the container in the display on the SB or wherever you have room,just as long as there not getting blasted with current.Within a day or 2 they will attach to the rubble and will work themselves out of their "partial burial".After they attach,remove the container and place the rubble base right next to the glass with the coral tissue/base touching the glass if possible.Once it attaches to the glass and becomes acclimated,lookout.It grows very fast in this manner as it climbs up the glass to get to the more intense light.IME,Xenia love light,nutrients,and good current.

First Name
    Greg

another couple of easy ways is to just take the frag and put it on a rock and wrap a rubberband around it. after a week or so the xenia will attach its self to the rock. simply take off the rubber gand and wah lah you have a xenia frag.
    another easy way is to just take a toothpick and stick it through the xenia into a rock. the toothpick will hole the xenia to the rock and just take the toothpick out after about a week. these 2 ways have worked great for me.

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yet another method is to take some hare netting and wrap some cuttings in it...eventualy (3-7 cays) the xenia will have worked its tenticles out and the rest will be atached to the hare netting you can then tirm out the xenia and use the hare netting to gule it to some LR rubble.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

i just cut it and put a small peice of rubble on the cut stalkin afew days its attached..
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

Hey Dakar. Let me know if you find any of those LOA floodlights that everyone is raving about. They're supposed to grow cheato like mad. I never see them when I'm looking for them.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

First Name
    Greg

aaahhh haaaa that is the exact light I use in my fuge LOA light of america right. man I will tell you those things are awesome. and for 12 bucks you cannot beat them. that is the least amount I have ever spent for lighting in this hobby.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual98
    Hey Dakar. Let me know if you find any of those LOA floodlights that everyone is raving about. They're supposed to grow cheato like mad. I never see them when I'm looking for them.
    Are you talking about the 19/75w floodlight or the 65/500w worklight? I've got 2 of the 19/75w @ 2900K's running on my 20g refuge now and 2 of the 120w @ 2900K's over my 29g refuge/eel tank. They have been doing great, I never did get around to ordering the 5100K versions, my macros grow like crazy now. but I want to change them out with the 500w @ 6500K worklights one of these days and see what kind of results I can get with just Xenia in the 20g. The HD on the east side of Madison has the worklights for $49 a pop on the shelf.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Eeep. More than I wanted to spend on a fuge light. I was talking about the $12 ones from that HUGE reef central thread. I think they are screw in PCs with a flood body.

Does anyone know if you can get a 96W powerquad in something other than a 50/50? I'd like something around 6500K. I've got one of those over my 10G fuge. Or I suppose I could grow xenia in there.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

No place around I've found that has the floods in the 5100K variety, just the 2900K

Haven't seen the 96w quads in anything but 50/50 so far, but I snagged a pair of them on eBay for around $30 each (another $15 or so for shipping), BUT that includes a new WH5 ballast, endcap, and wiring. Tough deal to beat IF you wanted a 50/50, best price I've found is around $40 for the bulb alone.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last