[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Crickets in the Zoanthid Forum

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last
    MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Crickets in the Zoanthid Forum

Larry - Hello Mucho

Mucho - Hey how's it going my friend?

Larry - Good bro. So why yah here today?

Mucho - Well, do you really want me to be frank?

Larry - Yeah you can be whoever you want, LOL, yes of course, be frank.

Mucho - Well, I come here everyday to talk about zoas and palys. It seems everybody has them now, but there's little or no discussion or sharing of any kind in the zoa forum.

Larry - Well Mooch, this place is new. I see a few topics in the zoanthid forum on eye candy, I.D’s, and some pictures.

Mucho - It doesn't matter if it‘s new, if I posted “Hey look at my new Jimmy Crack Corns or my new”AK-47’s”, or how about my new “PHPPPP or Paris Hilton Powder Pink Poofy Palythoas”, or maybe my new ULTRA RARE, "Lady Gaga" zoanthids with the lineage certificate of authenticity and I'm the only one in the world who has them, this forum would light up. However none of those topics have ever interested me as they mean absolutely nothing to me or to reefing. Those are all commercial topics and won’t do a bit of good with increasing one’s knowledge in keeping a happier, healthier colony or frag that isn't sick, was sick or going to get sick from improper care. I have no desire to ID anything I have ever own and the enjoyment of watching 2 and 3 polyp macro pictures so I can see the extra line on the oral disc of a zoanthid puts me sleep. I mean what’s more important, knowing the name of every polyp in your tank, or knowing the name of the nuisances algae choking off your polyps or how to eradicate it. How about knowing the best way to acclimate or add a new frag or colony that will begin to expand the day of arrival instead of next week or never. The list of topics are endless.

Larry - Wow, you sound a little P O’d?

Mucho - LOL, No, LOL, not at all. There is simply so much more to reefing as it relates to zoas and palys then what I see in all of the zoa forums on line. There is much to be shared, learned, experienced and discussed which is nothing more than a proactive means of preparing oneself for something that may occur in your tank before it really does.

Larry - So if you don’t like what you’re seeing, or not seeing I should say, then why don’t you post something and get the forum going?

Mucho - Been there, DONE THAT…..got the shirt…….AND THE HAT. Translation, I’ve done that before and I’m tried of begging and I shouldn’t have to, no one should. With their popularity and profits now, everyone has them, yet there is no discussion of them at all anywhere. But I'm going to give it a shot again.

Larry - Dude !!! How do you know that.

Mucho - Cause I spent a full week checking out just about every zoanthid forum out there. The only topics of interest which gets any attention is “what’s the name of this”, “ID please”, “eye candy/look what I got”, “what is this worth”, “is this rare”, Nope it isn’t, and finally, “A new polyp on the market”. No it isn’t, it just looks new cause it’s a macro shot taken with a new digital camera with the lens pressed against the glass and over exposed. Every single polyp I have ever seen in the correct lighting taken with a digital camera with a macro lens pressed against the glass just inches away from the polyp looks good. Most of what’s being called new really isn’t at all, it just looks new in a macro which is what you see in a 2 polyp close up. If I had a new camera and the right macro lens and photographed every polyp I have ever own, I could show you hundreds of, "new polyps on the market", but they're not. They just appear to be from macros and hype. I found 3 threads in the last hour speaking of a new polyp just discovered, but it isn't new people. It's an old polyp with new HYPE !!! These Hornets, Gosh I hate saying that, they have been around for many many years. There was a time when nobody wanted them and they sat in stores for weeks. All it took was a name, hype and a macro and they went from $ 40 for 30 polyps to $ 200 for one polyp.

Larry - Oooooo Weeee, so you trying to call people out?

Mucho - NO, of course NOT, that’s not my style and I would never do that, it's disrespectful in my opinion

Larry - So what cha saying Mucho?

Mucho - Look, in the old days we use to have discussions that went on for weeks at a time on one topic. Sometimes we had multiple topics going with hundreds of replies and thousands of views. This went on daily for years. Many of you remember that, don’t you? I mean we had people coming from many other forums on the net just to tune in, read and post with more than just a picture. Everyone was posting away, but not now. Why?

Larry - So what happen?

Mucho - So you’re asking my opinion huh?

Larry - Yeah !!!

Mucho - Well, since you ask, I’ll tell you. The demographic has changed in my opinion. Knowledge based discussions, in the zoanthid forum, have been replaced with the topics I listed above. When you can sell a polyp and pay the car note, who would bother to discuss them. I feel it's all show and go, show the picture, then go somewhere else.

Larry - So what cha trying to say Mooch, I keep asking you that?

Mucho - Look Larry, to each his own, but I posted this link, To all Zoanthid and Palythoa lovers several weeks ago to get a feel for who liked zoas and palys. I’m asking each of you now to step up to the plate or should I say the zoanthid forum, and contribute something. That’s all I’m asking. I keep 20 topics off the top of my head on my desktop for discussion, but I feel like why bother when nobody even shows up. When i come to this forum, all I hear are crickets.

Larry - I’m sorry Mooch, but you are complaining about something that you can help by contributing yourself.

Mucho - I disagree, but you know what, I’m gonna start on FRIDAY night at 7 PM like I use to do for all those years in the old days. “Build it and they will come” right? Well, Jimsflies has already built it, and they came, but they aren’t coming or playing ball in the zoa forum.

Larry - I’m sorry Mooch, but I think you are going to have a lot of people peeved at you.

Mucho - That’s not me nor my intentions my friend, but if it lights a fire and puts this forum on the map and make people want to come here daily to give back, listen, learn and share, then I will gladly welcome the attacks and make that sacrifice. I’m just tired of hearing crickets when I come to this forum. Jim knows me well and he knows I would never disrespect him, his members or this forum.

Larry - Bro, I think you’re making a big mistake in doing this.

Mucho - No, it’s not a mistake at all. If anyone is unclear about what I’m saying, then I’ll clarify it. There’s more to reefing and zoa keeping then names, ID, rarity, pricing and candy. They say any dummy can have a reef tank. WHAT, not true at all. Reefers are intelligent, caring, nurturing, kind good hearted people and I know many of them. I just think we need to get back to what got us all here. The fun, the giving back, helping and showing up everyday with something to say and not just a macro picture to show or a macro pic which says look at the specks in my palys. "These have 6 specks unlike Mucho's, his only has 5 specks in his with no certificate from the ocean floor". Yes, these types of discussion exist, over specks and lines.

Larry - So do you have any plans?

Mucho - Gonna do like I did in the old days starting Friday at 7 PM. I’m gonna post some things in the zoa forum, but don’t wait on me, this is your forum too. If you really love zoas and plays as stated in the link above, you’ll be here too or soon thereafter.

Larry - Mucho, you know you have a target on your back now don’t you?

Mucho - Obama had one too,……..and he made history. I'm not looking to make history, just to engage some reefers with a zoa paly conversation.

Larry - Well, it was good speaking with you Mucho. Much respect my friend.

Mucho - Well thank you Larry. I only say these things because I care. Take it easy my friend.

Larry - OK, later Mooch,……………….…Hey Mucho?

Mucho - Yes !!!

Larry - Hey, you seem like a nice guy and I know you mean well, but do you really want to post this interview?

Mucho - Larry, if they laugh and talk about me,….. fine. If they attack me, call me arrogant, cocky, stupid, uppity etc, …then let them, cause I know I’m not. At least I did something, and if out of those attacks a thread is born in the zoanthid forum………..then it was all worth it and not in vain my brother.

Larry - Ok man, cool beans !!!!

Mucho - See yah Larry
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-05-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

softiegirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sue
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Love it!!!!!!!!!!! Love Zoas!!!!!!!! having a bit of trouble keeping them alive over time oddly enough. They do well then ffftttttt.....they start fizzling and melting away. Not sure what im doing wrong. Time wise, im talking about them doing well for a year, then melting. Strange. But I loved the interview! Tis true these days, when someone gets a really nice zoa, its all about the $ being charged for it rather than telling a friend you'll frag them a polyp for free to share. Thanks for the food for thought Mucho!

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

LOL; nice interview Mucho! I'll be curious to see how it goes - cause like you I see the same/similar things on most forums. The new polyp/IDs/etc. are the threads that just keeping going and going, and the ones that are posted up about water flow or lighting or other general interest things - just die after 40 views and 0 to 3 comments. So how do you get people to post up comments and/or actually contribute? As an example, there was a great thread on RC the other day that someone started up on flow - it got about three comments and now its buried back somewhere on page 3 or 4.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I like the interview format Mucho, makes a thread interesting. I have always done fairly well with zoo's I'm new to palys. I just don't get into the names, if it looks nice I put it in my tank and watch it grow.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Glad to have you aboard MUCHO, look forward to many many thought provoking conversations with you in the very near future.
    I actually started a few some time ago I would love to hear your take on!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hey Mucho- You already know I am on board!! Looking forward to a breath of life sweeping into the zoanthid forum! Although we do have some good topics (moving at a slow pace) More interesting topics are much needed!!

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Good article MUCHO. I dig Zoa's and Paly's also ! I just need more.
    no disrespect but every time I read the Mucho part of the story- I found myself using this Cheech & Chong voice, then when I got to Larry, it was a basic White guys voice ! haha LOL

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Will see you all tonight at 7 PM. Pass the word please.

Thanks

PS. my pc seems to run ultra slow for some reason on CR and it takes me forever to post.
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-04-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I want to help out.. if you made the ZOO' paly "SUB-FORUM and made them a Forum, (easier to find) you'll get more action,

I didn't know this place existed until I seen it on the new post page..

This forum is a little more complex and layered than most other forums...
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

I'm here Mucho!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... Last