[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Guard Dogs on Duty/ protecting your polyps

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Guard Dogs on Duty/ protecting your polyps

Many of us have had the unfortunate experience of combating Nudibranchs in the past. I don't wish them on anyone as they will wreck continuous havoc on a zoanthid population. Many will only keep Palythoas as a sort of proactive measure to keeping their reefs Nudi free. It is still possible, if great care is not taken, to infest your tank with Nudibranchs. They will Hitchhike on rocks without a single zoanthid present. I have seen them in LFS on rocks without a single zoanthid or palythoa on the rocks. From many hours of just watching them, they will consume one rock, start on another colony, move, then comeback, then travel to find more polyps to consume and yes, they will travel across other rocks to get to the next colony they want to devastate. If you purchase that rock without any zoanthids at all on the rock from your LFS during their commute, you will infest your tank with Nudibranchs.

Dipping, close visual inspection and QTing are the most noted ways of preventing infestations, but keeping GUARD DOGS on the prowl 24/7 will also decrease the amount of time the infestation will occur, help with the eradication and keeping them from overtaking your reef until dipping, manual removal and treating begins. For this reason, lets create a list of known Nudibranch consuming fishes for future reference. Listed below are a few, there are about 20 to 25 that I know of. Lets list them all for future reference. I'll start with a few of them.

1. Yellow Coris wrasse
    2. 6 Line wrasse
    3. Lunar wrasse
    4. Possum wrasse
    5. Orange Striped wrasse
    6. Christmas wrasse
    7. Pink Striped wrasse
    8. Some have said most anything in the Halichores Family as they are serious stalkers

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Glad to see the yellow coris at the top of the list!! Right where it belongs!

Other than wrasse, there are a few other guard dogs that I beleive should be mentioned also-

My suggestion for pod control- you know, when they over populate and start causing problems-

PJ/Bangaii cardinal fish, just to name one.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Although I never had a nudi for it to go for, I always figured my yellow fang/canary blenny was a good guardian....they are aways hunting the rock for stuff to eat.

First Name
    Chris

Couple pics of my guard dogs-

Yellow coris-

Picture023 2 1 - Guard Dogs on Duty/ protecting your polyps

Lunar-

video023 1 1 - Guard Dogs on Duty/ protecting your polyps

and my bangaii-

Picture018 4 - Guard Dogs on Duty/ protecting your polyps
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 06-05-2010 at 02:49 PM.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

i know that sometimes you may get a mandarin with a taste for nudi's, flatworms, etc...

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hope you guys can add their names to the list and keep it going. I didn't know Bangaii ate nudibranchs.

Trying to compile a list of known, observed, seen, reported fishes that have eaten Nudis. In the event that someone has Nudis, they may want to run out and pick up a known GUARD DOG.
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

This thread has been unstuck at OP's request for exposure purposes. After some time I will re stick this thread and delete this post.

thanks.......chuck
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 06-06-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

First Name
    Chris

Oh- I thought guard dogs was meant in a broader scale. Pretty sure cardinals dont eat nudis- but they do keep pod populations down and in check.

You know how it can get when a pod population gets out of control- they can irritate polyps to death, and in turn get eaten.

My pair of wrasse are my nudi munchers.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't know how much it eats of pests but I know my royal gramma is always pecking at the rockwork
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

Werdlone - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I know the spotted mandarin is very efficient at eating flatworms and pods...quite possibley nudies as well. I got my spotted mandarin to control pods and flatworms. Always hunting and picking at the rockwork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last