[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Zoas receding or melting?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Well **** guess there's not much for me to do but CRY!!! For 2yrs I couldn't grow a zoa for nothing. I upgrade, bigger tank, better lights better everything. My zoas take off like crazy. For a year now they've been doing wonderful. Now this? Talk about a freaking bummer

Is it possible that they are getting burned from the 2 part? I add it directly to the flow of my mp10. Which then blows it across the tank. Which just so happens to be where the affected zoas are?
    Last edited by MizTanks; 10-03-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    I noticed this time it started on the older part of the colony. I wonder if zoas are "programmed" to eventually die back at some point? I think one of the best defenses against melting is having larger colonies and multiple frags.
    I've noticed this to. On overgrown frag plugs, if they don't have room to spread or grow out, they tend to start melting away, move them around and they may get happy again. I once had a colony of Mohawks move polyp by polyp( and I counted) till they were off the frag plug and on another piece of rock, amazing.

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Can't say much about the two part,

But let me officially welcome you to Club Zoanthid.
    You'll enjoy your self greatly for a few years. Then you can start our great "head against the wall" stress relief course. It'll work wonders for any issue's you may ever experience as an exclusive member of Club Zoanthid (once the concussion and short term amnesia kicks in), such as things melting in the night. Then you can buy more multi colorful delights to fill in that empty spot in the LR. That you just can't remember how it got empty in the first place.

Or leave club Zoa now and join the No Mud/ Colored stick club. I hear the rewards are way better, and way less head trauma.

Myself, I'm a zoa addict. There's no ten steps to recovery for me
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jstan View Post
    Can't say much about the two part,

But let me officially welcome you to Club Zoanthid.
    You'll enjoy your self greatly for a few years. Then you can start our great "head against the wall" stress relief course. It'll work wonders for any issue's you may ever experience as an exclusive member of Club Zoanthid (once the concussion and short term amnesia kicks in), such as things melting in the night. Then you can buy more multi colorful delights to fill in that empty spot in the LR. That you just can't remember how it got empty in the first place.

Or leave club Zoa now and join the No Mud/ Colored stick club. I hear the rewards are way better, and way less head trauma.

Myself, I'm a zoa addict. There's no ten steps to recovery for me

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Upon much closer inspection I can see a dark brown substance coming from the mouths of the above zoas. They are looking worse with each passing day. It's so sad watching them slowly disappear

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Have you been feeding more lately?

Sounds like they are "Pooping".

Zoas have been known to recead, sometimes down to just a few polyps, just to come nack with a vengence. I personally beleive its a life cycle they commonly go through.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Actually I've not been feeding at all. One of the things I pretty much slack on is actually feeding my softies.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Ok while watching these zoas slowly melt away I've noticed that they are being swarmed by some type of copepod. They appear to be drawn to the brown substance that is being released from the zoas mouths. These pods are not on any other of my zoas.

Quote Originally Posted by jstan View Post
    They may melt then, I've had so many melt for "no reason". I've given trying to figure it out. Some are great for years, then over night they take a crap.

Though I've recently starting peroxide dipping my zoas in a 4:1(1cup peroxide, 1/4 cup tank water) peroxide to salt water ratio(let sit 5min), and have had great luck bringing any on the verge of melting back to full glory. Also works great for hair algae growing on the zoas.

We were just having a conversation about this on another forum. I was wondering if this peroxide method had any results?

Also saw someone used a vitamin c method? Dunno what that is but would like to know. As we have had some stuff happen to our zoas lately.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steven

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

A little update: They are now officially GONE, not a one left. They were my favorites and a gift to boot. Should never have moved them.
    I'll be acquiring NO more zoas.

RIP favorite zoas
    evu9y3at - Zoas receding or melting?

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last