[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Over skimming?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Over skimming?

What if anything may I expect from running a large skimmer in my 26g, Parameter wise?

Is it true that running a skimmer rated up to 100g's on a 26g will cause a wetter skimmate?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm not sure I would agree that it will be wetter skimmate. That's more a function of the adjustment of the skimmer/collection cup (depending on the model of skimmer). A larger skimmer should move more water and air volume relative to a smaller skimmer...but that can be used to make wetter or drier skimmate depending on adjustment.

Parameter wise, you should notice nitrates decrease (although this is an indirect process) since the skimmer does not remove nitrates, it removes the precursor organics before they break down into nitrates.

The fact is, your tank may or may not improve as a result of adding a skimmer. You have been running without one and the corals you are keeping likely prefer a slightly dirtier water. So you may experience a shift in terms of what does well in your system. It may be possible to counter act that improved water quality by adding more fish or changing water less frequently.

I am sure if the skimmer is at all effective, you will notices changes (for better and worse). I have a saying nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank...the corollary to this is bad things can happen fast in a reef tank. Thus I would expect in the short term, you may have some results you aren't happy with, but in the long term things will stabilize and be better than before.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks guys I'm without doubt that I'll be able to lighten up on the wc a bit. Maybe take to monthly instead of bi-weekly. I'm also happy that I can increase coral/fish feedings. Especially since I've taken to feeding the fish frozen only. No more flakes and NLS pellets seldom.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com