[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Phytoplankton Culture Experiment

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Yep, just did some more reading, actually looked at the package that FL tube came in, its a 50/50 only 6500 and actinic not the 10K i thought, but the floodlight one is at 2900K, it's one of those cool power compact jobbers, only eats 19W of power and yields ~75W light, with very little heat. Everything down in the fuge seems to like it, even a bit of coraline growing, thats something I didn't expect from such a low kelvin rated bulb. We'll see how the phyto likes it next trip through HD.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef_Angel
    If someone goes down in our basement and doesn't understand saltwater reefing, and they whisper about it in this one horse town....lol....we'll be arrested and calling one of you to help us out.
    I know what you mean if you go into my basement you get the same thing. I actually had people ask me what I had growing down there because of the bright lights threw the basement windows.

First Name
    Dave

Update: The culture from the experiment took like over 8 weeks to really become 'green water', so I just strained it off and been feeding it to the tank. Going to restart it using one of those petri dish type cultures.

Still waiting for the DEA to run a fly by, then the badges will be pounding on the door wanting to see why the house is throwing such a large UV signature :D
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

You're not kidding about the lights! I'm glad someone else sees what I do. Living out in the boonies, we light up like a Christmas tree when it's real dark out. We only have those small basement window peeking out of the ground, but darned if those fluorescent's don't glow for a mile or more down the highway. I think it'd be funny to have the cops come raid us for drugs or something down there. It would be funny as heck. Our local hick town paper with a big ol' headline reading:
    "Attempted Drug Bust Failed", Salt Water Sump & Paraphernalia associated with The Salt Water Reef Hobby, was found in basement of local Salt Water Reefing Hobbyist!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

I was wondering if you were feeding your green water anything?

First Name
    Dave

Nope... just an airline and light... know a better trick?

I was looking at this link that I had for using petre dish setup and is says to use micro algae grow. I was wondering if is was nessiscary at all to us it.
    http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/phytosteps.html

First Name
    Dave

When I can make the room and such to get another culture going, that is pretty much the method I'm planning on using.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2