[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mp10 closer to the surface?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

An MP10, eh? Nice addition to the gear!

Can you raise the skimmer (even just a fraction of an inch)? If so the weirs should pull more from the surface.

Tom

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

I second trying to raise the skimmer

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have not personally seen one of these skimmers...Are there any intake slots below the water line? If so, they need to be blocked so that all the water goes over the wier.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

.....BRB gotta go look up the meaning of...weir?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

WillBattle - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Will
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    .....BRB gotta go look up the meaning of....wier?
    I think the slots.. as in like a weir basket Could be wrong though lol

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WillBattle; 02-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm back I'll try an raise it some more. In the first pic you see slots. Sort of like the ones found on an overflow box. I'm assuming this may be the weir your speaking of. The water is supposed to flow down through these and then the pump forces the mixture up through a tube into the nog cup.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    In the first pic you see slots. Sort of like the ones found on an overflow box. I'm assuming this may be the weir your speaking of.
    That be them.

Tom

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Here is some advice from another reefer:

give it some time, your brand new skimmer isn't going to suck all the protein out of the tank in minutes, it needs to be dialed in and settle in some, if u look at the pic she showed she either just cleaned the cup or its not doing much yet!

Also, instead of raising the mp10 u might want to try aiming one of ur old power heads straight up....and lower the mp10 and turn it up some.... even with it at 2" below the surface like u claim the top appears 100% stagnant, so its either turned off for the pic, or its turned waaaaaaaaaay down because if it was moving any kind of water it would have ALOT more surface agitation and less protein at the top then in that pic!

btw, you don't need to raise the skimmer, the way it sits it should be sucking off the top of the tank water anyways, if anything you needs to lower it to get more water flowing into it,not raise it which will decrease the amount of water going into the skimmer since it doesn't appear to pump from the tank to the skimmer,it seems to overflow into the skimmer and then the pump just adds air to work.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Yes wier refers to the slotted thing at the top.

I also agree, that if you don't have more slots that are submerged, try raising the height of the wier (or skimmer if you can't adjust separately). That will help with getting a higher volume of water off the surface rather than just under the surface.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Thanks for the help everyone

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

That surface protein/junk can be taken off the top by putting a small piece of thin acrylic on the bottom half of the "weirs" where you overflow into the back chambers. This will increase the amount of water that flows from the surface, rather than pulling water from 2" under the surface. This worked perfect on my 12g cadlights nano. Water pressure will hold the acrylic against the overflow, just cut the acrylic the width of the over flow and about 1.5" tall. You will have to play with how high you place the acrylic, go just high enough on the overflow to get rid of the garbage on top of the water. Oh keep in mind that the little acrylic piece will fall off when you turn off the return pump.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last