[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone have a good fish mush recipe?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Anyone have a good fish mush recipe?

I was thinking of trying my hand at some homemade fish food aka "fish mush". Anyone have one a good recipe?

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

You know what? Me too! I'd like to see all the different mixes, including vitamins you use etc. Everything is happy in the tank, but if I can make them happier, I sure will! Great question Whoyah!! Sorry I hijacked ya, but I hope you don't mind me sitting in on this one.
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a made it a time or too but just use whit i can find fresh at the time
    as we are limited on fresh sea food hear
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Just made some...
    3 lg scallops
    2 jumbo shrimp(shelled)
    8-12 lg oysters(half that into clams if desired)
    1 small fillet atlantic salmon
    2 oz marine fish flakes
    2 oz small dried pellets
    2 oz cyclopeeze or golden pearls
    2 tbs hufa vitamins
    3 sheets dried sea weed/ nori
    1 fishpack mysis or enriched brine

Dice all meaty products into decent "chunks"(small enough bites for your med fish)... after finished, put 1/4 of that mix into a bowl and put the rest into a blender. To the blender, add all other ingredients(crush the seaweed as much as possible) and blend to a consistancy similar to a cakemix ready to bake. Add contents of blender to bowl with diced meaty chunks and hand mix well. Get 4-5 standard size zip-lock sandwich bags and with measuring cup add 1 cup to each bag untill gone. Now place flat in freezer... stacked bag upon bag making sure to make as even as possible and freeze. Voila... Repto's Reef Ready Grub. You may have to suppliment in places depending upon availability with the meaty goods.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

MMMMmmmmm sounds tasty

Sounds like a very balanced diet though.... really packed with the good stuff!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I just use locally collected seafood.Oysters,clams,shrimp, and flounder or any other lean-white fish.You can add Goldenpearls and Cyclopeeze to the mix as well.Some like to add nori and vitamin supplements but i don't.You only need about 1/2 dozen of each of the shellfish and a small filet of the fish.Put them in the blender w/ a little RO water and let it rip.I add the GP's and CE last.If your using the dried CE,i allow it to re-hydrate in ro water before adding it.

It seems to re-hydrate while blended, mixed, blended, or frozen... just fed and doesn't "seem" to be any floaters. I know, salmon is more fatty, but the protein is darn high.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks for the recipes!!! I found a 1 lb bag of mixed frozen seafood at the grocery store for $3. It has octopus, cuttlefish, cooked mussels, shrimp and imitation crab. The imitation crab I think will leave out do to the coloring. I tried a test batch today with a piece of each (minus the crab) plus some dried cyclopeez and some flake food. Blended to a next chunky soup. I squirted a couple shots in the tank and everything seemed to scream "WOW". I froze the 1/2 cup left overs. I think try and get some salmon, maybe an oyster, and some nori for the big batch.

Any preservatives???

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Well angel took ALL of the coral and fish feeding fixings we had, she even found my stash of tank cyclers (big bag of Jumbo cocktail shrimp) and added it to the mush. Everything coral and fish in the tanks just went absolutely crazy over it.

Unfortunately so did the skimmers, but that's just a matter of turning them down or off for a while, a good time to line up skimmer and pump scrubbings on schedule with the weekly feedings.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last