[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 17 of 18 First ... 7 15 16 17 18 Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Default Lemonade from lemons...

I spent a few hour today literally ripping apart the tank and removing 27 Frags. Strangely enough, it might have been a good thing.

As I was trying to determine which Frags could be most easily removed, I noted that, that despite 1000+ GPH flow in a 12 gallon tank, there were a few dead spots where detritus and cyano were collecting. The aquascaping was just too dense to allow for proper flow in this long/narrow tank.

The flow problem coupled with the fact the tank looked overcrowded with rock convinced me to remove the right pillar and all the corals attached to it. Thankfully I designed all the rockwork to be modular. The pillars are all stand alone pieces. Even the bridge pieces are not permanently attached, they simply "key" into the pillars. The additional open space allowed me to adjust the other two pillars, creating more negative space, which I think looks much better and greatly improves flow throughout the tank.

In addition to the pillar, I removed two of the chalice islands, a bunch of Favias and a few Acans and SPS and misc corals. The tank was a bit cloudy from all the moving around - I'll get photos and the revised livestock list updated on Friday.

I think I also decided what to do with the reverse side of the tank after to conclusion of the contest. The Reefbrite LEDs are angled to provide higher PAR to top shelf and obverse side of the tank. The reverse is lower lighting and provides 3' of perfect Zoa garden space. All the "nooks and crannies" will be perfect for tons of Zoas that can grow throughout the aquascaping.

So when it's all said and done - it was a good tank day
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

A few shots showing the new "lesser" layout...

DSC 1140 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 1134 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 1144 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

DSC 1145 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

HI CSQ. Beautiful tank! What do you use to keep your glass coraline free?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am a huge fan of the lesser layout!

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    HI CSQ. Beautiful tank! What do you use to keep your glass coraline free?
    Thanks Miz - Because the tank is so new, Coraline has just started growing on the aquascaping. Over time, it will grow on the glass and I'll have to deal with it. I use a TLF Nano Mag that does a very good job at keeping the glass clean, but no pad-cleaner does a very good job at removing established Coraline and some scraping will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    I am a huge fan of the lesser layout!
    Thanks Chris - Me too. I still have some tweaking to do, but in this case - less is definitely more.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sort of makes me wanna remove some of my rock as is I've only got 20# in there now.

First Name
    Thomas

I've been struggling with gaining adequate flow. I had hoped to keep all the mechanics relatively hidden on the right side of the tank, but even with the Tunzes and adding an MP1-10, I wasn't able to get enough flow on the opposite side of the tank. I broke down and moved the MP-10 to the left side. Visual distraction aside, the flow is much improved. ReefCrest @50% fixes all the dead spots.

SPS are continuing to improve in color and some have begun encrusting on the aquascape. I moved the Ric Garden to the right side of the tank and moved a few Frags to create a more open look. The daily water changes and Kalk laden ATO are still maintaining 420CA and 9DKH.

A few pics...

20110521FTS - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    DSC 1212 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    DSC 1214 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    DSC 1231 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    DSC 1219 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build
    DSC 1223 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

First Name
    Thomas

I'm considering a change in substrate....

The amount of flow I'm able to generate is being limited by the fine grain (ReefSnow) Arragonite substrate. I may remove it and see what this tank looks like bare-bottom. The mounting plates for the pillars will be partially exposed, but should cover with Coraline quickly. I'll have to mount the individual Frags on the substrate onto Bommies, but as the foam pad below the tank is black, it might be an interesting look.

Here's a photo sans-substrate from the early aquascaping phase. Much of the rock shown in the photo has since been removed, but it provides a hint of what it might like bare-bottom. I think it might look even better with the newer, more open design.

2011 01 22 173753 - CalmSeasQuest's 36" Nano Build

I've never had a BB tank and odds are I'll end up replacing the substrate with slightly courser ReefFlake, especially with the tight spaces, as there is no way I could clean Coraline from the bottom glass. It would at least be interesting to see what it looks like BB.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

What are Bommies? It would be interesting to see a BB covered with coraline Can't wait to see what your going to do...

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    What are Bommies? It would be interesting to see a BB covered with coraline Can't wait to see what your going to do...
    Thanks Miz

The term "bommie" (plural bommies) is short for Bombora. It means a shallow isolated piece of reef located a distance offshore. I believe it originated from an Australian / Aboriginal term.

I use it to refer to small isolated "islands" of corals on the substrate.

Page 17 of 18 First ... 7 15 16 17 18 Last